Just some solder?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by PiGuy_314, Jun 6, 2015.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Not to mention the residuals from dent bag, oops I mean gig bag purchases.

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I mean, he did get the mouthpiece out, so it wasn't a total loss...

~Noah

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    And this, kids, is why you don't seat your mouthpiece with a firm twist in. Just slide it in gently; unless the horn or the mouthpiece is way out of spec, it'll stick.

Tom

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    Yep. In high school, my friend took my other friend's trumpet between the knees, and dealt severe blows to the mouthpiece, trying to get it unstuck. He broke the leadpipe right off! I would say just use some masking tape until you can afford a quality technician.

5. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Just got the horn in the OP to my tech and he said no big deal. He can even get out a dent in the bell. Thanks all!

~Noah

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Dent bags are passive-aggressive forms of rebellion against all instruments of music. Insidious, they are.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yo'all have had your fun about me applying lanolin to my mouthpiece shanks, but I'm getting the last laugh when a mouthpiece is stuck. Still, I've a bob-cat by the tale by what others tell me. Still in all my years, I've only pulled mouthpieces with my bobcat less than 25 times, and 3 of those were on pre-owned instruments I bought.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe the world needs a cheap mouthpiece puller OR to design the mouthpiece receiver and mouthpiece with Hex bolt geometries, making them easy to apply leverage to when stuck.

9. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    I kid I know wanted to play the trumpet in his school band, but couldn't get the funds for one. I offered to let him borrow my cornet, it was halfway through the year, but he never got back to me. Missed the right time and the momentum lost.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am sure it happens but I can't say I ever saw another instrument with a stuck mouthpiece. Certainly not one where the leadpipe was dismantled or mangled.
    The regularity to which this happens on trumpets is probably worthy of a dissertation.