Just Started Learning, Need info.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ADDER, May 26, 2008.

1. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    Hi All
    I've been playing Trumpet for about two months now, Learned most of the stuff (scales etc) from the net (can't afford lessons at the moment)
    Just wondered if anyone knows of any good books to get so I can progress further?

Sight reading is not great but I get there in the end, I've been a guitar player for over 25 years and have a good ear. At the moment I'm getting a nice tone from the Trumpet but I would like to progress using the right methods.

At the moment all I seem to do is play scales....

Any help would be great.

Cheers
    Geoff

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Books won't replace a teacher. Buy a book about how to swim, or a book about how to ride a bicycle, and you'll get the idea.

It is hard to go wrong with scales, though. Try them in thirds, fourths, and all those nifty diatonic variations. My favorite is: "do, re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do, re: re, mi, fa, sol, la, ti, do, re, mi..." etc.

Scales, a teacher and Marmite in the right proportions are the key to fun and success with the trumpet.

Have fun!

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Best practice sez find a teacher.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Arban's Complete Conservatory Method

bigtiny

5. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    You can't go wrong with Arban's.
    Clarke books are also good.
    Do try to find a teacher, even once a month is better than nothing. Playing this instrument,especially when starting out you REALLY need a good mentor.

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Just to give a balanced outlook. I never had a teacher until I had one for my year at Berklee. I was really worried about some perceived technical problems I thought I might have developed over the years of playing.

My teacher sat me down in front of an Arban's book, had me play various exercises and concluded with "You sound fine to me....".

For some people, it's not possible to get a teacher. I know it wasn't for me. In lieu of that you must use every resource at your disposal.

-this forum
    -read as much about people who play the trumpet and their insights
    -listen to people who play
    -try to play with other people as much as possible (rock, jazz, blues, concert band, polka bands, whatever)

I only say this to encourage people who might not have access to a teacher. It's not the end of the world...you can still play the instrument...

bigtiny

7. sass

sass New Friend

Apr 7, 2008
    nelson b.c. canada
    Read everything you can about trumpets players even if it is not about trumpet playing per say. You can learn a lot about what it takes to live with this instrument. There are always little insights in there that start to add up.

Be patient, you have only been playing for two months. I have just come back after a few years and it has taken me a good year just to feel like I can actually keep up again. Playing scales and working on your tone will be your main concern for a while now. It takes a while to get the strength and control that is required to really go places. You want to be doing things right from the start other wise you with be having to be unlearning stuff. The trumpet is all muscle memory so you want to train the right muscles and learn the right sensations.

I have found these sites very helpful.
    The Ideal Trumpet Embouchure
    Trumpet lessons and trumpet books.
    Lawrence Trupet Studio Topics: Unlocking the Mysteries of Trumpet Playing

When you have some questions from all this info try and get one lesson here and there as needed just to make sure you don't have some issue that will hold you up later on.

Chears
    Scott

8. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    What part of the guy saying he can't afford lessons at this time didn't you understand???

quote=Richard Oliver;373283]Best practice sez find a teacher.[/quote]

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I used Essential Elements by Hal Leonard to get back into what I learned back when I was in school. What's nice about it is it has a disk that you can play along with. It will help you learn timing, notes etc. I found it very good. Along with the other books the other's mentioned, it should help you out. When you can afford it, taking some lessons can help. Good luck.

10. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    Cheers for all the info people :)
    One other question I have to ask. At the moment I have a B & H 400 Bb that was given to me to learn on, It plays OK but has some intonation problems and also has a terrible tone.

I have been offered a Bach TR700 Prelude by a friend for £40, the bach has a much better tone but I really struggle to get higher notes on it, for instance on the B & H 400 I can get E below High C (E is my max at the moment) But on the Bach I really struggle to get it. Would this be technique or my Mouthpiece (I'm using a 7c) or the trumpet itself? I really need to blow hard to get to the 'E' on the Bach...

The B & H 400 seems easier to blow than the Bach but the Bach just feels better, has better feeling valves and has a great tone compared to the B & H...

Any help would be great.
    I hope to get a tutor once a month In a few weeks time when I start work.
    Geoff
    :D