Just Started Learning, Need info.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ADDER, May 26, 2008.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Take a look at the Allen Vizzutti method.

2. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Ditto on the Allen Vizzutti method books - titled An Intermediate/Advanced Method - read what he has to say on how to practice.

Also like Claude Gordon Systemic Approach to Daily Practice - read his discussion/recommendations on embouchure.

And don't focus on range too early - you'll get there in time.

3. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    Take the Bach. The B&H will always sound horrible and out of tune, your range is something which will develop.

4. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Arban's
    Collins
    REAL MUSIC!

Don't get stuck in just method books. Find yourself some actual trumpet music that you like, find a recording of a professional playing it, and try to imitate what they do.

Definately try to find a teacher as soon as you can afford one, but in the mean time, use the search function here for things like Breathing, Tonguing, Slurring, Embouchure, Range... etc. You can get alot of very good information here. Good luck and remember to have fun!!

5. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are tons of great players who couldn't afford lessons, but found a teacher. The common scenerio is: find someone who knows more about the instrument than you do, progress to the point that they can't offer you anything more, and they'll pass you to someone who knows more. Determination (and to some degree, talent) play a much bigger part than pocketbooks. Those who teach do so as a calling.

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Yes...but you also have to remember that some people live in areas where a teacher simply IS NOT AVAILABLE.....one can learn to play this instrument without a teacher. I would even argue that in some respects it can be better to do so.

bigtiny

8. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    The gentleman who made the following website is very good. His name is Tony Rapacciuolo
    and you can see some examples of his playing on Youtube. His Youtube screename is Anrapa.
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    As BigTiny said, get yourself an Arban's, then go to this site. The site owner has recorded many pages of Arban's to help you learn.
    Trumpet Exercises

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    And some of us are trying to unlearn bad form/habits from our first teachers - well meaning as they were!

10. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Thank you big, it's just what I meant. Not all ppl have the money to get lessons. I can't even find any group or anything in my area. I'm not in the boondocks either. I live outside of NYC. I am certainly not going into the city to play. I don't have the money to travel. You have to realize that some ppl live on minumum wage, or are barely getting by. Some ppl in here have no idea how much is for rent etc. If someone says they can't take lessons, leave it at that.