Just Started Learning, Need info.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ADDER, May 26, 2008.

1. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    A big thanks to everyone that posted the links and info for me, I shall read everything!
    I've decided to get the Arban method book and plod away slowly with that and with all the help from the links I think I'll be on the right road to learning and enjoying playing the Trumpet.

Cheers
    Geoff
    :D

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Yeah...I know what you mean. I live in Boston and I've never been able to find a teacher here. There are plenty of them, but most of them teach at local schools and play and just don't have time to take on students outside of their universities. Before a bunch of guys in Boston respond...I'm not looking for a teacher now =:-)

bigtiny

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Patience, Grasshopper.

To be able to achieve that E below high C while only playing for two months is quite the accomplishment. Keep in mind your embrochure is still developing and strengthening. The upper range will come along as you develop.

You sound as if you like everything about the Bach except the lack of upper register. Remember, you haven't been playing regularly on this horn as you have the B&H. Since the investment isn't huge, there's not much downside to buying it. Again, if you decide to buy it, just be patient as you become accustomed to the horn. The upper register will come along.

You mentioned your guitar background and sight-reading so you're not learning an instrument for the first time, you're in effect taking the musical knowledge you have and applying it to another instrument. Lessons can be pricey, may I suggest finding an accomplished trumpeter that would be willing to help with an occasional "evaluation" of you progress? This is not the ideal solution, but it could help you progress until you are at a point that regular lessons would be feasible.

Good luck!

4. DurhamNick

DurhamNick New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    I can not say for sure but I know that BRASS Durham International Festival is running loads of workshops with over 2,000 school kids and people with learning disabilities be funded to attend concerts.

OK I know you are outside of Durham and I don't know your situation but maybe give them a call and offer to volunteer in exchange for the odd lesson and free ticket. You will meet some amazingly talented players there too.

It is a long shot I know but my son had just started the trumpet last year and we could not aford to take him to see Mnozil or Brazz Brothers and they gave us tickets and let him sit in on workshops too. This year, maybe because of it, they are giving out 500+ free tickets and paying for transport for schools to attend!

They say it is because they wish to inspire new players, boy am I glad I live in Durham!

Good luck and hope whatever you do lack of money will not stop you, I know how hard it can be. Maybe your county council does the same as Durham county Council and provide free workshops.

Cheers

Nick

So worth a try as you never know.

5. DurhamNick

DurhamNick New Friend

Jun 14, 2008
    Just a thought (to all members) what does your Council do for brass players? Might be worth checking it out if not for you, you can pass it on to others.

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia

Good work man! All you really have to think about is playing comfortably and making a nice clean trumpety sound. Most of all, HAVE FUN learning a new instrument!

Your aural skills from guitar should be a good foundation to build on, as pitching the correct notes shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Good luck, and happy trumpeting!