Just started playing again, ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mandapandas, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mandapandas

mandapandas New Friend

Feb 6, 2007
    Princess Anne, MD
    Hello,

I started playing the trumpet in the 6th grade band and stopped playing in 9th grade marching band(about 12 yrs ago). Last year, I decided that I wanted to play again since trumpet players at my church kept falling through and I also just missed the sound. I took lessons at a local music store for a couple months last fall and now I'm taking lessons with a professor at a local college using the Arban's book. I love my lessons but I'm still playing my student trumpet from middle school.

Two questions:

1. It's difficult to play with my church's praise team because they don't have sheet music b/c they all play by ear and can learn from hearing a song. It takes me a day just to get a few measures from listening to a song. Also, the sheet music is usually not available for the songs we sing. What can I do about this?

2. I'm progressing but I wonder if purchasing a professional trumpet would be wise or if I should start with an intermediate. I really don't even know the difference. What do you think?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    The piano player doesn't use music?

ML

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Manda - if there is NO sheet music available whatsoever, you should tape the songs when they do them and then transcribe them for yourself.

4. mandapandas

mandapandas New Friend

Feb 6, 2007
    Princess Anne, MD
    Nope, the guy on the keyboard doesn't use music. He just learns the songs by listening to the cds

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Egads! :shock:

I can't imagine playing anything in a church setting without sheet music.

I'm with Alex; record the song or obtain a copy of it and transcribe it yourself.

As for the trumpet you'll get many opinions but here's what it boils down to.

Understand that no matter what horn you purchase it's only a horn and will not play any better then any other horn until you have reached a certain level of proficiency on your trumpet.

You may want to ask yourself how serious is my playing going to be? If you only play in church and will not play anywhere else is your current trumpet getting it done? What motivates you to want a different trumpet?

I play the instruments that I play for several reasons. I can utilize them in many different playing situations and it was not a financial burden on me to purchase them.

Only you can decide what’s right for you!

Good luck,
    John

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If most of your playing is with choral music and no Bb parts, a C trumpet may be a good choice! No sheet music whatsoever would make the Bb more attractive (easier to play, better intonation).
    Transcribing/transposing is an important key to understanding musical structures. You could end up learning to play better by ear!
    A used pro trumpet is generally better than a new "intermediate" horn.

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Can you get copies of the CD's so you can learn the tunes? If the piano player can you should, right?

ML

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When a keyboardist transcribes tunes, they can usually give you a lead sheet with lyrics and the chord symbol over them. Not a huge help, but it does tell us what scales to play, and if you practice lots of arpeggios you'll know in advance which notes will fit to a chord. Transposing the chord symbols up a tone will make life easier on the Bb.

You might want to think of yourself as being in a lead guitar kind of role, adding some sustained notes during the choruses and filling in the blank spots. It need not be flashy --trumpet is cool even with tasty long notes! Have fun.

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY

As to the 1st question, and I have been there myself a long time ago, I just learned to play them by ear. Lots of repition, and some quiet playing on my part during the worship service. I don't recollecting transcribing them (this was getting on 3 decades ago), but that sure wouldn't hurt anything, and you could begin your own folio for future Bb players.

As to your 2nd question, what horn are you playing now? What's it like?

Generally, I'd advise you to let your development as a trumpet player push a future trumpet purchase. That is, your teacher and you will know when it's time. Chops 1st. Bucks 2nd.

If you've got a good sound, a really good trumpet won't help you out during worship service. You'll still be stuck with not having those tunes down.

I bet with 6 months of diligent application -- transcribing, playing along with recorded worships services -- you'll get the songs down.

All the Best,

Richard

p.s. I really enjoyed the type of playing your doing by the way. Our assistant Pastor back then was a musical whiz. I did get a really nice professional trumpet. He was still a whiz, and I was still what ever I was before I bought the new horn.

10. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Manda,

If you love to play and love to play with your praise group, just hang in there and things will happen. Leave out the notes you can't reach or learn and sub some low or slow harmonies. Let your ear be your guide. Fit in and don't try to stand out. You'll do fine and don't forget to practice every day; scales and technical exercises. Pick an easy hymn and play it starting on every note in the chromatic scale. Don't push yourself to frustration.

You'll do great, you'll love it and you'll be loved for your endeavor.

What you are doing is so COOL

T. Mac