Just starting to learn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by berini, Aug 20, 2008.

1. berini

berini New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Hello everyone,
    a couple of weeks ago I went crazy, entered a shop and bought a trumpet.. I love the sound of this instrument. Now, I am trying to learn the basics, but I cannot have a teacher as I live abroad but moving in few months (and I don't speak the local language well..). So, I got to internet to learn as much as I could. I also ordered some educational DVD but still waiting for it to be delivered. What I would like to hear from you, is about your very first experiences with the trumpet. I don't know if I am doing it right, but the sound comes out pretty nice, even if I always have to adjust the intonation after the note is out there... I pretty easily go from lower C to an octave above. Less easily I can go to G above.. Not more than this, but I really don't care about speed and high notes (for the time being...). I have some problems in getting the lower D out.. It's the most problematic note for me now.. I always use my tongue to start notes by hitting right above the upper teeth, also... I don't know... Do you have any comment/advice/raccomandation for someone who has played in total only 3 hours?!?! something to avoid at any cost? Thank you guys!!! I hope I will get to a more advance level pretty soon, bye!!! :play:

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Many starters have problems with articulations (attacks) in the low register. Why don't you tell us were exactly you are going? Many musicians can speak decently english even though this is not their native language. You can try aso online lessons. It is difficult to get the basis right witout a teacher. Patience is also very important. I just wrote in another thread: don't go too high too soon!

3. berini

berini New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Hi! I am in Europe right now (near Vienna) and I don't know where I will be next.. (my job is like this...). Can you suggest any good online lesson? One thing I understood from internet trumpet sites: take your time! and I will... :-)
    What motivates me the most is the sound.. I like to play long notes, low-med register and keep them... It sounds good!

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Vienna is awesome for taking trumpet lessons. So many trumpet players there. Why don't you go to the music university and ask? There must be surely some students willing to give lessons and speaking english. As for online lessons...why not try just surf around? Some of the members who may be able to help you are Nick Drozdoff :: Home , Adama Rapa (I am not really sure if they deal with starters) and Toni,whose nickname on TM is ANRAPA. Check them out. I probably could, but never did that online and don't know if there is any special requirement gear wise (mics, webcameras etc)...Trent Austin may be also able to help you. Good luck.

5. berini

berini New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    thanks a lot!

I know that Vienna could offer many good teachers, but I don't feel it makes sense to find someone now that I am going to move... Plus, I have time to play only in the morning at 7 or later in the night (I use Yamaha silent brass system..).

Thank you for your advices!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    FORGET starting without a teacher. You are not doing yourself any favors. Even 2 lessons can get you pointed in the direction that will give you a LIFETIME of pleasure! Stop making excuses! Get a teacher!

7. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I agree with Trumpetnick and Rowuk. If you can spend some time with someone that's been playing for a few years they can help you get grounded with the proper set up and tone.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you are starting off as a brand new beginner, there should be a Musikschule in your town that can get you started. The easy stuff can be taught via sign language (that is how I started as a teacher in Germany) and modeling by you, the student.

As an adult learning the instrument, no matter where you live or what language is spoken, you'll encounter some "Dick and Jane" kind of real easy stuff and some frustrating stuff as well. Most of the lessons will have to do with the "Dick and Jane" stuff and it is in those "Dick and Jane" exercises where your body learns the most and your mind screams at the repetition, frustation and boredom.

Consider the Olympics, and the years of training that went into each one of the people taking part. Imagine how young those people were when they started training. That is the level of training that just about anybody has who plays in a town band has!

And they got that training through some really boring exercises. If you are willing to break through that wall of stuff then you'll have a bunch of fun with the trumpet!

Have fun!

9. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    Im started as well and the only way you will learn properly is with a professional teacher. The internet wont say to you if your right or wrong

10. dwindham

dwindham Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I support the idea of a teacher as well.

I started off at age 12 in a school band program.

My 8yr old son working with a private teacher for 2 months is getting a much better sound and fundementals than I had.