Just those people in the section.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    So, I've these kinds of people before. They're a special kind of stupid. Let me give some background info...I am a 9th grade trumpet player. Started in 6th grade. And you know.. marching seasons over and its time to get into the right concert placements and chair placements and blah blah blah. In my school we have 5 bands. Symphonic to Concert 1 to Concert 2, all the way to concert 4. Now it is almost impossible for freshman to make symphonic, although I did it but they moved me down to concert 1. Surprisingly I got first chair. I beat 2 freshman, 2 juniors, and 2 seniors. Now second chair is a junior and he, is a whole new level of low and dumb. He b*tches to me every single day in class and section practice about how I am not good enough for 1st part and 1st chair. The music we play is tough on my range and chops and it's hard music overall, for me at least. Now I never wanted to be 1st chair with 1st part, in fact I'd be happy with 2nd or 3rd part. I dont brag about beating seniors and juniors and having first chair. At first I laughed it off, after a month of his whining, I am tired of it. How'd you guys deal the with that one guy who thinks everyone is below him, he thinks he can look down on everyone. (Espicially freshman). The musics tough and I definitely am in no position to play all of the lead trumpet music I'm getting. But this guy has drived me to prove him wrong. Today our director said he will hold tryouts for a trumpet solo in one of our pieces, and I said I will give it my best shot. 2nd chair immediately says "No you wont". I don't wanna back down from the challenges I'm facing, because I know he'll make fun of me and laugh and such. Where's that trumpet mentality where I let nothing get inside my head? Down right down with his crap. Any advice? :dontknow::play:

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Some people will tell you blow your face off and show him up.
    Some people will tell you to just back off this time; by the sound of things, you seem to think he's the better player anyway.
    Some people will tell you to steal his instrument.

While I don't advocate for the third, one and two seem viable. Can you beat him? If you can, I say do it. If you can't, be humble. Even if you can, be humble.

My marching band director (trumpet player) always says, "Work hard and be humble."

I would do whatever you think is going to help you achieve that goal.

~Noah

I've been there.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to the wonderful of internal politics. Unfortunately we all have to deal with this at some point, your advantage is that you get to learn it earlier than most. A good reply is simply "I let the conductor deal with this, talk to her/him about it." If you realize he has no credibility, it is easier to blow off their mobbing. In return, you can point out whatever mistakes they make, and if you have good ears tell him when he's out of tune and to follow whatever other instrument is playing the same line. Don't be mean, just point things out and make friendly suggestions how they can play better. If worse comes to worse, arrange a meeting with the two of you and the band director.

In spite of it all, have fun!

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yeah, practice like crazy, get the solo and show the little punk @ss b1tch that you are the man, no matter
    what your age! Let you playing do the talking and sooner or later, he'll shut the H up.

I went through a similar deal 3 times.
    First when in 9th grade I got 1st chair over a 10tth grader.
    Then in 10th I got moved up to play 1st with the 11th and 12 graders.
    Then in college I walked in and took 1st chair from a sophomore.
    If you are above average, this sort of thing happens. Fight the battles with your horn and the jerks can't win.

5. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    The way I see it, you have two options. You could either A: let it bother you. Or B: don't let it bother you. It really is your choice. Annoying people are everywhere. Learn how to tune them out and focus on what you want to. You'll find yourself much happier.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi ricecakes,
    You stated:
    "He b*tches to me every single day in class and section practice about how I am not good enough for 1st part and 1st chair. The music we play is tough on my range and chops and it's hard music overall, for me at least. Now I never wanted to be 1st chair with 1st part, in fact I'd be happy with 2nd or 3rd part. I dont brag about beating seniors and juniors and having first chair. At first I laughed it off, after a month of his whining, I am tired of it. How would you guy's deal with it?
    -------------
    Let me see, when I was in 9th grade, it was in the early 1970's and I was a fairly aggressive trumpet player who thought the sun and the moon rose over Maynard Ferguson's butt. My approaches were almost always graduated or at least that's what I would tell my Mom when we would end up in the Principal's office for fighting. I would have told him to:
    1. "shut up"
    2. If he continued tell him "Keep it up asshole"
    3. If he persisted, Punch him in the head
    ---------
    However, that was then and this is now. Anti-bullying programs are found in every school. Tell him you are tired of being bullied and he better stop now!! Then, if it continues, go to the school councelor and tell them:
    1. What's going on
    2. What you did to address the problem so the person would know that his behavior that of a bully
    3. How long it has been going on.
    4. How you need the Councelor's help to make this person stop picking on you.
    Of course there's always the alternative.
    Possibly this pain in the ass guy has a big crush on you!!
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Back off the volume and lip down whenever he has an entry

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG I was starting college then. Just shoot me now... put this old horse out of their miseries.

By the way ricecakes... Hold your cards close to your chest and don't advertise your intent... and never, never give out your age!

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi G-man
    You stated:
    "OMG I was starting college then. Just shoot me now... put this old hoarse out of their miseries.
    ------------
    You think that's bad. Today I was watching Gilligan's Island and it dawned on me that there was a time when I would watch the show and I was younger than MaryAnn and Ginger. I would anxiously watch the show hoping to see the two of them.
    Today I'm watching the damned show and realized that I'm as old as Mr and Mrs. Howell. What happened!! This sucks!! Now if I lust after MaryAnn and Ginger I'm a dirty old man, a perv, an aqualung. It just ain't fair. I don't remember signing on for this.
    Old age sucks!! Where the hell's my Geritol.
    Grumpy old Dr.Mark

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014