Just those people in the section.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Jan 21, 2014.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Work harder, practice more, let your trumpet do the talking and kick his butt. When you win then tell him he better man up and hit the shed or get used to being second banana the rest of his life.

Your high school days are just a rehearsal for the rest of your life. At your 20yr reunion he may be an under employed bitter schlub and you may be a trumpet player in symphony orchestra.

The habits you have now predict the person you will become with amazing accuracy!

2. Shifty

Shifty Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    That's how you know when you really are getting old -- you start thinking Mrs Howell looks pretty hot. :shhh:

3. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Better brace yourself, but you'll be encountering this same person in other disguise probably for the rest of your life. Sometimes these guys grow up and you end up being friends. Others never do and you'll meet them in a conference room when you're 50.

You can't control what they do. You can only control how you react. My advice: don't do a damned thing different based on this person. If you would have auditioned before, do it. If you didn't want it or weren't ready, don't. This person will come and go from your life and only you can decide if he's going to have any effect on you. Be you, and don't change it for jerks. Take constructive feedback from people who have your interest at heart. Ignore everyone else.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  5. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I've got Mic's horn that he played on that album, it's my main axe. Sounds nothing like that when I try it, though. Perhaps I'd better keep practicing... And yes, now 'Mrs. Howell' is starting to look pretty good. Sigh.

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    If your bands have a challenge system do handle seat positions, then tell him to put his horn where his mouth is. And if he's not prepared to do that, then tell him to STFU.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Take confidence in where your director has seen fit to place you as a 9th grader. He/she obviously believes in your talent, your potential and your ability to lead. Accept that with quiet humility, be the bigger person, work to improve each day and let the results sort it all out for you. That might be asking more than the average 9th grader normally has to handle, but your director didn't make you 1st chair because you're a slacker.

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Excellent advice!!!!

And ricecakes, when you label others (a special kind of stupid, etc), you are revealing that you are judging them. It shows that you are put off balance by the behavior of others, and expressing such judgment is your way of lashing out at them because you yourself are insecure about who you are and your abilities. If you can convince yourself that you have it together, that YOU are OK, then you won't feel compelled to put others down.

It's normal to have those thoughts, but you will be happier in the long run if you keep them to yourself. I know this comes naturally at your age, but it is a good lesson to embrace now.

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, at least this almost requires no editing Doc. Maybe that will make you feel better, plus, I'm older than you too. Now, take two aspirin and call me, whoops, that's your line..

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    That isn't the huge bored Martin, is it?