Just to clear things up

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chet fan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok, you all know that I asked for opinions on my playing. And you all know trhat I freaked out. Now the topic is locked and I do not have a chance to explain

Yo uall misunderstood, I didnt get mad because you gave me advices, and critiques, BUT BECAUSE ONE USER SAID; THANK GOD NOT ALL BEGGINERS ARE POSTING THEIR CRAP -Thats why I freaked out. Only because of that.

Furtheremore I would like to thenk all of you who actually gave me advices and told me what to improve, I will try to follow your advices, because thats why I posted in first place

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    As for myself, I completely understand the point of view of the poster who said that all beginners should not post vids of themselves playing. I can play the tunes you presented on your vids but I would not post a vid of myself doing so here or anywhere else for that matter, because frankly I do not believe it would be of much interest. A vid of myself would have the only advantage of allowing me to listen to myself more objectively and estimate progress over time. It would not occur to me to show it to another player who does not know anything about me musically and ask what I could do different. If I was asked to do such a thing for somebody else, I would just be polite and stick to generic, universally applicable stuff. As for my teacher, he does not need me to do that because he hears me and watches me play on a regular basis, every time I get a lesson.

Elementary level playing sounds very similar for just about every player. Without even seeing the player and being there to watch his breathing, position, etc, how could one give effective advice? The advice you got was good but very generic and applicable to any playing at that level. The kind of vid you made is only useful to yourself or to your teacher. Trying to get more "teaching" from posting it here is really kind of a long shot. You could get totally useless or even detrimental advice as well.

As for freaking out, regardless of the reasons, my advice is: don't do it. Learning to behave like a grown up even on a online forum is good practice too. You can swear and fume all you want in front of your screen but the stuff that makes it to the "post reply" button has to be of the same nature than what you would say to someone actually standing in front of you, while others are present too. I was quite suprised that your posts on the other thread were left by the moderators.

Enjoy your practice.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, if you go back and look at the thread you started acting poorly after only 2 people replied to you.

4. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    okay: ive been playing since may of 2006, almost four years. im decent, but i still work atleast 45 minutes a day, and take an hour lesson on Wednesdays. i still have alot to work on. just keep it cool and accept what others have to say, good or bad. it will realy help.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Well, Chet,

As my one of my granddaughters (age 8 years) told me one day:

"Grandpa....build a bridge and get over it!" ;-)

Suspect you've learned a valuable lesson here. It is best to move on to better things and no one is likely to give you a difficult time for it. We can't take back what we say or others say to us....but we can move on and do better so that it doesn't happen again.

Best wishes, Chet!

Lloyd

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would venture to say that the problem is not what you posted. We all can simply not listen if we don't like this stuff.

The real problem is always when you only want answers that fit in your small scope of things. When the name calling started, you proved that it is a waste of time to be honest with you.

I not only locked down the thread. You are on my radar and if something like this happens again (juvenile name calling), you will be banned. There is no excuse for lowest common denominator. I don't buy the "freaking out" story. Bad manners are not "impulsive". They are learned. You need to look in the mirror before pushing return on your keyboard.

tedh1951, Solar Bell and Decrescendo like this.
  7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    SWEET, Rowuk you are the man...

BTW, digging some of the Canadian Brass arrangements of Bach's stuff. I stand by statement that Bach was an evil man. But, I now think that assesment may come form Trumpet players playing what are Piona or Organ parts.

Anyways, thanks for addressing the Chet_Fan issue.

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    rowuk,
    Please don't ban this guy. Over the past couple of years a heap of people have been banned and the entertainment factor has been on the slide. Maybe all the banned should be invited back to post in their own section. it could be a form of forum cage fighting.
    Now don't go the moral high ground all you people out there. You know you'd take a look;-)

Schwab and trumpetnick like this.
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh Ozboy - inspired. Think of the possibilities - we could all practice pushing buttons, and hopefully the targets would get somewhat immune and we would have to get really creative. Bring it ON. ROFLROFL

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You Aussie boys have a special take on what is "fun"...