Just wanted to share

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, Mar 7, 2007.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    As some of you may know, I've had a rough year here this year, beginning with lost class rosters resulting in no 7th graders and a host of other issues that have had me really in a slump and considering leaving altogether.

Well, I just had an amazing 6th grade rehearsal. I am so totally charged up because of those little 6th graders. They are soo intense. We can talk about tuning, resultant tones, blend, leading, color...all the cool stuff. We spent a few minutes of rehearsal just tuning a C minor chord...getting the 3rd to place just so. That's the cream filling right there. I can look up and give my snare drummer a cue and the eye contact is right there...looking for me. And the response is equal to my demand. I heard sounds coming out of my trumpet section leader that just make me smile. Trombones and euphoniums that count and don't drag!!!

(I knew I was off to a good start when one of my 8th graders came in with my chocolates I ordered!)

Ok...time to go practice.

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Congrats Glenn !!! Amazing isn't it... all we need is a few good days (or sometimes just one) to refuel our mental fuel tanks.

God bless you teachers... one and all.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Soak up and enjoy those moments as they'll get you through the dry spells!

ML

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah Glenn....way to hang in and reap the reward. We need teachers like you!!!

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wow, you can get them to sit still and listen? They don't get a blank stare when you talk about resultant tones? Sounds like you deserve a "teacher of the year award!" Hey Leigh, I don't want the Eclipse -- give it to Glenn!

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ya know, thyat's really what it's all about, isn't it? They are great kids and I'm fortunate to have them.

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Kudos Glenn!!

:wave:

Keep at It,

Richard

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Glenn,

I am so happy for you! Let me just share with you how far ahead of the game your students are when compared to a young me.

In 1980 or so when I was in 6th grade I could not have told you anything about resultant tones, or chords. You were lucky to have my attention because I was bored out of my mind everytime our band director would have to stop for the woodwinds and fix something.

I can tell by your posts that you are an excellant teacher and your students will reap rewards from that far into the future.

Oh and as for me; the first time I had a resultant tone explained to me it was by another excellant teacher; Alex Yates. I just happend to be producing them with her! My age at the time 37. So your students have a 26 year jump on me! :shock:

All the best,
    John