Just wondering.....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by dauminator3, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

I have noticed that on the insides of my 1st valve slide saddle and 3rd valve slide ring that someone, hopefully from the factory, has ingraved the last three digits of its serial number. Kind of interesting. Comes in handy when I have all 1 of my strads out so they dont get mixed up......

Jared

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    What is the serial number on your horn?

Mike

3. dauminator3

dauminator3 Pianissimo User

It is a Bach Strad 37, # 579492. It is relatively new.

Jared

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Jared,

I can think of a few reasons those numbers would be there. It might hace been done at the factory so that during the mass prodution the slides be put back on the horn they came from.

Or, you might ask the place you bought it from. I've seen (in years past) where someone would go to a music store, trying out 1/2 dozen horns. They'd then change slides from horn to horn to see if they could bet a better axe out of miss matching slides. (do you follow me?)

With the numbers engraved or stamped on the slides the salesman can check to make sure that hasn't been done before a horn leaves the store.

5. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This engraving is done by the factory, every Bach trumpet should have this on it on the first and third slide. Bach is not the only company to do this. I have seen similar numbers stamped neatly (not scrawled) on the slides of Kanstul instruments as well as those of early model Benges.

Why?

Keeping slides with a particular trumpet in the factory is my guess. Having owned only one Bach in any given key, I presume each slide is cut and fitted to an individual horn. Thus if fitted to another horn there maybe the chance of a small gap and subsequent tuning issues. Only a guess though.

6. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Yes I've got numbers on my 37...guess what? 3rd valve slide is marked 328 the 1st valve slide is marked 167 !! Serial number is 491328..!! Must have been a mix up somewhere.
    However on the 25th Anniversary 43 Bach Strad I own there are no engravings. Serial number 0394

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    yes, this is on my bach, something silmilar on my callet too. I always wondered why a mass made horn like bach would have it, on the callet its the bore imprinted on the slides and individual parts, I just assumed this was for assembly purposes

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Interesting...I had a Bach 180 ML37S....about 1989 model. I went over that horn with a magnifying glass when I was looking for manufacturing flaws. Didn't see any numbers anywhere but on the 2nd valve casing.

9. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    I was told that the first and third valve slides are hand fitted at the Bach factory. That is why the numbers match the serial number.

mlockman
    Bach trumpet user