Just Wondering?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eclipse trumpets, Jul 26, 2004.

1. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    I was wondering

If a manufacturer gave you the chance to have any old model of trumpet reproduced to as exact detail as possible, what would you choose??
    When i say exact as possible i mean:-
    All lengths, dimensions, bends, thicknesses of material, mixtures of brass material (as close as possible) etc etc

Basically bring it back into manufacture! Of course i dont know what the legal implications would be when doing that?

There are many people on the forums who swear by older model horns,so i thought it might be interesting to see what would be the most popular.

Regards

Leigh

2. SchilkeFan

SchilkeFan New Friend

Nov 27, 2003
    Hey Leigh,

How about a 1953 Mount Vernon Bach?

John MacGregor
    Waukesha, WI

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi John

I didnt think it would take too long before that one made an appearance :)

Regards

Leigh

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Olds Recording definitely, or some sort of New York Bach.

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    This includes exact duplicated vavle sets? - this seems to be where everyone falls short of replicating old things... it can make a big difference..

-marc

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    How about a 2003 Eclipse? I think you could do that quite well Leigh! And, of course, as it's a replica of an "old" model, it'd have to be significantly cheaper! :razz:

7. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    There's something very appealing in the look of an older Bach. My screen saver at the moment is Hub van Laar's take on the look..complete with nickel valve uppers and in raw brass.

Elegant but very workmanlike and professional at the same time.

Regards,

Trevor

PS Zig Kanstul did it successfully with the Chicago. Marc is right about the valves though, tough to get right. Actually having played a few Burbank Benges (alas no Chicago Benges) I think the shorter stroke valves on the Kanstul suit it better. Of course the best valves I've used are on my Taylor...very tempting to have the feel/style of an older trumpet with valves as good as these. But is it authentic?

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Perhaps the Conn 36B/38B. When Conn moved its operations to Abilene (big mistake -- I hope Steinway is smart enough not to move operations to China) the Conn 38B jigs and mandrels were lost. Conn tried to get that horn back, but they couldn't remake their own horn.

It would be interesting to do a horn that Conn couldn't do itself. This was the horn Maynard played for years.

Jim

9. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    As long as you don't replicate anymore Special Editions I'll be happy!! :lol:

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Although I've never played one, I'd be most interested in a Mt. Vernon - if only to compare it with the modern Bachs!