K-Tongue Modified (KTM)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Apr 8, 2015.

1. surfingmusicman

surfingmusicman New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Hello everyone. A friend of mine recently mentioned to me Claude Gordon’s KTM approach to tonguing, which I’d not heard of before. I’m experimenting with it and have a few questions:

(1) With the KTM method, is the tip of your tongue supposed to be placed at the bottom or top of your bottom teeth?

(2) Which of Claude Gordon’s books would be best to purchase to learn about and practice this method?

(3) Is there another resource (e.g., other books or websites) that may be particularly good to check out for the KTM method?

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Without knowing the rest of your playing, it is tough to recommend anything. You see, proper articulation requires proper breathing and body use. Just trying to tweak something without a foundation was never in Claude Gordons mind. If you play tense, you will carry this over into "new" articulation and essentially learn it wrong regardless of the book that you use. Most attempts are the proverbial "Crap Shoot".

I know that it is a very stale comment, but try and find a great teacher that plays like you would like to and at least get the basics first hand explained for YOUR present situation. You are doing yourself an incredibly great favor this way. One or two lessons is often enough to get started and someone who has heard you play can offer a quality of consulting with far less risk!

3. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Never heard of it, but I have a KTM motorcycle and stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Rowuk, find a teacher for at least a few lessons so you understand how it all works. I take lessons (locally) from Bruce Haag and I know that he also does Skype lessons. You can also find either Jeff Purtle or John Mohan. All three studied with Claude for many years.

I love playing with KTM, but it has exposed several other issues with my playing that I now have to work to resolve. Overall it was a great change for me.

Mark