Ka, ka, ka

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

Do you practice your "K" tongue as much as your "two" syllabol so that it sounds even when you multiple tongue? How should you go about practicing that kind of tonguing since it wears out the chops fairly quickly? Is it necessary? How do you teach a beggining student to multiple tongue?Thanks...

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jeremy.

I would say that when I double tongue, yes, I play a K for every T, and in that way, I practice the K tongue.

Do I think it's necessary to practice the K exclusively? No, not particularly. It's sort of like practicing running with only one leg.

Will that leg get stronger as a result? Probably. Will it make the process of running with two legs better? Maybe, indirectly.

Would you be better off just doing strength and flexibility exercises and then running good distances everyday? Absolutely.

Are there times when one leg needs more strength and flexibility than the other? Yes but on a limited basis until your legs function as equally as they can.

Beginning students should practice double tonguing when they have a very good idea of how to single tongue and can do so with a consistent sound quality that is good. Then, you teach them short bursts not long, slow motion longer exercises. tk t, tk t, instead of tuuuuhhhh kuuuhhh tuuuuuhh kuuuuhhh..... It's like teaching someone to run in slow motion. Short bursts and then add a few more each lesson.

ML

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Manny, I like the analogy, but I must ask - when you started walking, did you walk on just one leg for the first few years? :D

When the majority of people start double/triple tongue, they can already use the "tu" to a degree of proficiency. When I teach double/triple tonguing, the first exercises I get my students doing is to produce a clear "ku" syllable. Once that is achieved, then we work on combining them effectively.

I find that if my multiple tonguing is not going well, a few days with me including "ku" exercises in my daily routine helps get me back up on form.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    No, but I developed a very unique method of hopping from place to place!

ML

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    :lol: :D :lol:

It could explain a lot