Kanstul 1500

Discussion in 'Horns' started by miles71, Nov 16, 2004.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    I posted the question about a new horn earlier, and thank you for the feedback. I am thinking about looking into the Kanstul horns. I play a Xeno RGS presently (a great horn) but have the itch.......

The 1500 with a copper bell............whataya think???

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I just bought one used from Dillon's. I bought it with the intent that it could be a good combo and jazz solo horn. It's working out pretty well with that so far. It's got a rich dark tone that works really well with just about anything that's marked "medium swing". :lol: I'm using my GR 65.6M with it but have also used the FD cup and a #3 cornet piece. The FD cup is interesting on this horn because it gives an "almost flugel" sound when played gently...when played loudly it's an instant rotary. It's perfect for those Gabrielli Canzona's.

I've been using it exclusively for a couple weeks now and have barely touched my Yamaha 6335HII. It's not that it's a better horn so much as I wanted to know if I can feel free to do upgrades and such to the Yammie because the Kanstul does eveythign the Yamaha does. It's working pretty well.

Problems: It can be a little tubby in the upper register. You really have to work to make the horn zing. But that's fine because it wasn't really intended for that. I don't any real different in range. The horn plays fine up to high C. Higher is more work but not resoundingly so. I'm also having some tuning issues with the horn. Well, that's not exactly true...my tuner is having issues, I think it sounds fine. :-) Part of the problem could be that there's some red rot in the lead pipe but I'm not sure just yet.

It's a nice horn for jazz, symphonic, chamber(I've played it with brass groups too). I suspect it would be good in church and for legit solos too but I havn't tried it yet. Don't expect to play lead on it and you'll probably do just fine with this horn.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Here is what Tim Wendt said:

http://www.ibowtie.com/kanstulTWtrumpet.html

"I got a Kanstul ZKT 1500 Signature Series trumpet when I played with the Dallas Brass, and that is truly one amazing horn.  I could play everything on it -- orchestral to jazz to lead - whatever I needed, it gave me.  But I found I had to work harder than I wanted when playing with big bands in LA, just to keep up with the other guys in the trumpet section.  Giving that situation some thought, I envisionsed basically the same trumpet as the 1500 but in a lighter version.   The ZKT 1500 "TW" has the same playing characteristics as the 1500 (Signature Series trumpets), with the following changes:

Lighter bell (.020") and Copper
    All brass body (no nickel)
    No. 25-O leadpipe
    No water key on the 3rd slide

"And a few other tweaks that we'll keep to ourselves"

Tim sent me an email not too long ago about how the no nickel on the body makes the horn feel much more efficient to him. TIm was at Zig Kanstul's first NAMM show when he had only a few horns to demo. Wow, have things grown and developed in the last few years.

Anyway, that should give you the unabashed sales pitch (and the specs).

Jim

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I played the horn quite a bit at ITG (both the 1500 and 1500TW), and I agree with what's been said. For what I wanted, the 1500 suited me just fine, but that was for mainly legit stuff. It has a good response, nice warm and dark tone, excellent valves, and high quality. The only thing that it can't really do very well is play lead trumpet, and when you consider how it is constructed, that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, that horn will open up and sizzle a little bit when you lay on the air, but don't expect it to be something like a Mariachi or Getzen 3001 model.