Kanstul and ZeuS

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gzent, Jan 16, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Jack,

Just what is the reason for keeping the Kanstul/Zeus connection a secret?

I don't see the point.

Greg

2. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

If it's being kept a secret it is not by the Kanstul family. I know that dealers sometimes don't like players knowing where horns are being made that they sell. While a Zeus is a fine instrument, after all it's made by my father, if you really want to try the best he has to offer you need to try his signature line. As one very famous trumpet player told me about his Kanstul fluglehorn, it is unbelievable!

Jack Kanstul

3. EndQuest

EndQuest New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    This is the reason why I decided not to even try a Zeus. I always felt that Kanstul would put more effort into their horns than someone elses. I'm not saying Zeus is bad in any way, I just feel more comfortable going with a "family horn".

4. pushtrumpet

pushtrumpet New Friend

Jack Kanstul, Flip Oakes, Jerome Callet, and Alex might disagree with the "extra effort" part.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks Jack. Someday, when I get a bit more cash to play with I might
    have to check into the higher end Kanstul horns.

EndQuest - The Zeus was considerably less when I got mine, I kinda had a $1000 ceiling to work with.

Greg

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    No kidding. Ask yourself, are they the same instruments? Hardly.

Why is there a ZeuS board, a Kanstul board, and a Wild Thing board on this forum? A tribute to the manufacturer no doubt, but the horns are not the same. Close sometimes, but not the same. Check the specs, they are often different.

And pricing will be different depending on lots of factors -- including the specs.

This board is about the Kanstul line, and certainly Jack answers questions about them and promotes them ... that is what makes this forum informative! :D

7. zuester

zuester New Friend

Mar 25, 2005
    The Kanstul Signature Series Flugelhorn is a remakably beautiful
    sounding flugel, I recently played one in comparison to a Conn Vintage One, and the sound on the Kanstul was amazingly fuller, to my ears any
    way. I think that the copper bell has a lot to do with it . I just know that the Kannine is my next acquisition .

8. zuester

zuester New Friend

Mar 25, 2005
    So sorry for the Typo , I meant to type Kannie as an afectionate tribute to Kanstul.
    Anyway , they are GREAT horns !

9. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I just received a new CC925 flugel and it is a wonderful playing instrument. (Pick Music) The 1525 is a great playing horn, but if you have a bit of a budget like me (ie..wife) give the 925 a shot. I got it as a doubler, but it is much more than that. Sweet, mellow sound, excellent intonation, and great valves right out of the chute.

I bought a 1600 WB last year and love it. Kanstul does great work IMO.