KANSTUL / BERGERON. LETS GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BachMan, Feb 7, 2004.

1. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    Ok,

I have read on another forum that the Kanstul WB model that Wayne himself plays on is not the Kanstul WB model made available to the public?

Is this True or False?

2. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    False.

3. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    Thank you Liberty. Now how do you know this?

4. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Hi,

This theme was started in the TH and it is definitely false. I have seen Wayne Bergeron in concert and in a Master Class - after which he was gracious enough to let people try his horn. After playing a Bergeron Model twice this week I can safely say it is the exact same horn. Except his leadpipe and bell were rawbrass. During the Masterclass he talked how much he loved the horn and was so much easier to play then the X3 he used to play.

Wayne definitely plays the Kanstul bergeron model. Is it tweaked a little for his preferences - Maybe. But all of us can get their horn tweaked by a competent technician if we so desire. I tell you the WB model I played this week is one of the best horns I have ever played.

Mike

5. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Kanstul Bergeron Model

I agree with Mike about the Bergeron model. I have one on trial right now. They play with just a puff of air, but have more core to the sound than most lightweights.
    Jim

6. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Wayne plays a prototype of what has become our production model ZKT 1600 WB Trumpet. I believe that there originally three prototypes, and that Wayne settled on one in particular.

Our production model is stamped WB for the man who inspired it, and as many who have played them will tell you, the production model is very, very close to Wayne's. (There are some I believe that may have been stamped with ZKT 1600 WB) As of last week, we are still stamping them WB

As another person posted above, "...all of us can get their horn tweaked by a competent technician if we so desire." So if Wayne's horn has been tweaked, well, that's his preference.

Wayne's horn is still raw brass. He likes the scratch finish we offer on our production model, and has mentioned getting it or a scratch gold finish in the future. Wayne is fortunate enough to be a very busy man, so he has yet to get the time to get his horn finished. (This info is from Jack Kanstul, who had spoken with Wayne recently) And we know from Larry Gianni's post a couple of weeks ago that he's using it on the job. Wayne himself told Jack Kanstul that he hasn't found anything better, to which Jack replied: "Wayne, you never will."

By the way, a rare opportunity is coming soon: Kanstul will display at the TSU Brass Symposium at Troy State University in Alabama later this month. http://spectrum.troyst.edu/~jzingara/TSU Trumpet Symposium.htm#_TSU_Brass_Symposium

On the booth will be three WB trumpets: silver, scratch lacquer and raw brass. We encourage you to find out for yourself the level of consistency and quality that goes into the manufacture of these, and our other horns.

Don't forget! Many of you are aware that Wayne's solo album "You Call This a Living?" has been nominated for a Grammy Award. But did you know that his distinct and soaring sound is all over not one but TWO Grammy nominated albums in the same catagory? We'll find out tomorrow, and we're keeping our fingers crossed for Wayne.

A shameless plug here: Check out the Kanstul website at http://www.kanstul.net. We have given our index page a facelift to feature Wayne, and I finally have a page up for the ZKT 1600 WB: http://kanstul.net/pages/instruments/zk models/zkt1600m.html Check out the rollover buttons for more information.

Best Regards,

edit: added url for Brass Symposium

7. jazzdujour

jazzdujour New Friend

Jan 24, 2009
    Long Beach, CA
    I own one of the Kanstul prototypes trumpets that I got from Wayne Bergeron personally some time ago. It has a "w" on the leadpipe. (not the "wb"). Likely it was an earlier prototype. I'll ask Wayne next time I see him.

8. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    Without wishing to put a cat among the pigeons, Wayne is playing a Yamaha 8335LA
    check his website, Yamaha performing artist! My spy's tell me he's also working with Bob Malone and Yamaha on a new Flugel!

9. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Well, he's been playing the LA for a while - why would it put the cat amongst the pigeons? Not meant confrontationally, I'm just curious!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  10. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    I just figured from the previous posts that folks thought he was currentley on the Kanstul, and i'm contradicting this quote from Kanstul brass,
    "And we know from Larry Gianni's post a couple of weeks ago that he's using it on the job. Wayne himself told Jack Kanstul that he hasn't found anything better, to which Jack replied: "Wayne, you never will."