Kanstul Chi 1070 "Big Band"

Discussion in 'Horns' started by joe brown, May 30, 2004.

1. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    I found out from Zig on friday that the Big Band is a copy of the Claude Gordon Benge. I ask him if it was a standard 470 bore like the Selmer CG and he told me there was a choke in the bell from 464 to 470 bore.I was under the impression that it was a straight 470 bore. I have owned a CG Benge and it plays exactly like the old ones. Does anyone have an opinion on this horn.

2. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    I bought one from Jack Kanstul. He told me it was .470 all the way with no choke.
    It's interesting that Zig has a different story..........
    In any case, it's the best playing trumpet I've ever had.

3. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I didn't realize it had a choke on it. I am not a big fan of the Claude Gordon benge. I prefer the 3X, 3X+ or 5X but a lot of players like them. I have played the big band and it seemed like it was slightly heavier then the old Claude Gordon Benge. However, I did like the way it played.

Mike

4. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    That's funny - Zig told me that the Chicago 1070 specifically did not have a choke at the bell, and that the 1070 was the same horn that he used to make for Besson as the large bore Meha. He said that someone could special order a 1070 with a CG bell on it, but it would be easier just to buy a CG "Burbank Trumpet" remake from Mike Thomas.

5. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Chicago 1070

When I first started with Kanstul, Zig took some time to acquaint me with the line. He offered lots of insight and information on our entire brass line, but when we came to the CHI 1070 Big Band, he said only two words: "Besson Meha"

Hope that helps answer some questions!

Regards,

6. Just A Trumpet Player...

Just A Trumpet Player... New Friend

Mar 10, 2007
    California
    I just went and got my new kanstul chi 1070 "Big Band" trumpet today and i am impressed!!!! that huge .470 bore and just sing when pushed. my normal high range went to a powerful F or a semi-powerful G. :-) but now it's a powerful A!!!! so now i can just scream all day. i love this horn. it's a very flexible horn too. it's not just a screamer it can also be played very softly and have a dark sound, you just gotta know how to play it. im looking forward to gigging with this horn!

7. Bill Bryant

Bill Bryant New Friend

Jan 26, 2005
    South Dakota
    I doubt Zig would be happy with this thread. I hope somebody will communicate with him again and set this straight.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Lets not forget that this thread was started in MAY 2004, was last posted to in JUNE 2004 and has been dormant since.

I'm sure things are different.

-cw-

9. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    By the way, is the mystery solved yet?
    I just have recieved a 1070 and it plays as a free blowing ML, not more. From the blow it reminds me to the CHI-1000. The sound a bit clearer than the 1000s. Very comfortable playing feel. One of the best.
    Herbert

10. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have the 1070 as well, but mine has the .464 choke at the bell tail going into the 1st valve. Excellent horn. For me, it doesn't really feel like a .470 bore horn. Thanks again to PIck Music. Priscilla really knows her stuff.