Kanstul Chicago vs. Burbank 3 Star

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rhdroc, Nov 17, 2003.

1. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hi Jack!! How about clarifying the difference between your current Chicago series and the Burbank series you manufacture for MTI. Both appear to be based on the old Benge models but there must be a difference??

Thanks---<Rick

2. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

There is definitely a difference. THE CHICAGO is just that! A copy of a 1947 Chicago Benge my father got hold of THAT HAD NEVER BEEN PLAYED!!! :shock: Fortunately it got in the right hands. :D The old Chicago Benges were prized by all the players who love the Benge sound. They were considered the ultimate. So now you can have your choice of a ML .460, MLP .464 or L .470. :p I keep them in stock for you to try, always with my Try Before You Buy and Lifetime Warranty. That way you make sure of being 100% satisfied. :) After all, when your name is on the bell, you don't want someone playing it that isn't totally satisfied.

Jack Kanstul

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Jack, One day this ol' LB Bach Strad is going to be replaced, and when I do replace it, there are several horns that come to mind for me to try before making my decision on just which one. Kanstul is definitely on the top of that list, as is the Chicago model, along with the Signature line of course! :)

You guys do good work. I have been nothing but happy with the CCF 925 Flugelhorn that I own, which is more than enough justification to head your way when I'm ready for another horn. Also, I have a friend that used to own (Actually, I think he still has it, but I haven't talked to him in a while) a Kanstul Chicago and it played very well. He used it for playing Latin band and worked very well for that, but it was also a great legit horn as well.

4. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    So how about the Burbank series from MTI??

Thanks---<Rick

5. Puukka

Puukka Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Krems an der Donau
    I´ve recently tested both and as far I can say the difference is that minimal, that the differences of a Burbank 3*to another Burbank 3*, because of tolerances, might be bigger than the difference between a Burbank to Kanstul.
    I´ve also recently tested my Burbank 5* (at the moment for sale, if interested) with another 5* and they sounded slightly different.
    Regards,
    Herbert

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. topo3man

topo3man Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Wilmington, DE
    As you stated in the original post, both horns are made by Kanstul and since Kanstul has the original Benge tooling it boils down to the difference between Chicago Benges and Burbank Benges (the Kanstul Chicago and Burbank trumpets being virtual clones, respectively). The main difference between Chicagos and Burbank Benges was in the bore and bell. The Chicago horns only came in two bores, ML (.460) and L (.468) and Elden used the 3 bell on them (although there are some exceptions such as a few medium bore Chicagos out there). During the Burbank years, Benge expanded the selection of both bores (added MLP (.464)) and bells (2X, 4X, 5X, 6X). So there were many more variations of the Burbank horns. The only major difference between Kanstul horns and the original Benges is that Kanstul horns use a shorter stroke valve block. Original Benges had a fairly long valve stroke and many feel that the Kanstul block is an improvement over the original design. The difference between the Kanstul Chicago and Burbank 3* should be minimal since they should be homologous to one another as long as they are of identical bore.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  7. JOHN MOLOTOV

JOHN MOLOTOV New Friend

Sep 28, 2008
    hai i own a "the burbank trumpet"model 601,made at 1122w burbank blv,#1326.Can someone tell me when its built?

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This post originated almost 5 years ago - and now only eight posts.

9. JOHN MOLOTOV

JOHN MOLOTOV New Friend

Sep 28, 2008
    jeh,i,m a bit late

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    John, take a peek here

Chicago Benge Resource Site

Links to PDF's of Chicago, Burbank, and LA are on the right side a bit of the way down the page.