Kanstul Clones Monette

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Gnostic, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

2. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    Kanstul's Monette

I just got an M-B4S P from Kanstul. I ordered it with a #16 throat and the Prana backbore and I'm glad I did. I've been looking for a MP that plays this way for a long time.
    My goal was a MP with a rim and cup similar to the Warburton 4SV, but with a much bigger throat than Warburton makes. I've been using a #12 backbore and have opened up another #12 to a #16 throat, but my control with the altered backbore was a little rough.
    The M-B4s / Prana has the easy high register of the 4SV with a huge sound. The tone with my Kanstul 1500S is exactly what I've been hearing in my head, but couldn't produce.
    Workmanship is great; just what you'd expect from Kanstul.
    I'll gold plate the rim and cup tomorrow.
    You gotta try one of these!

John
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/themuterack/
    Cape Canaveral

3. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Kanstul clones

John - What are you using your new Kanstul mpc. for ? Lead or perhaps picc. ? I have been thinking of trying a Warburton 5 or 6SV cup with their # 10* backbore for picc. but haven't gotten around to it yet. Am presently using a 6* backbore and a 4D cup for my Bb work. Am also keeping a close eye on eBay for some original Monette AP6 picc mpcs. I wish Kanstul had the Prana AP5 and AP6's in stock.

regards

Seth Moore

4. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    Seth,

I haven't played a picc in 35 years, but I wouldn't think a Prana would be my choice. Might be interesting to try.
    I'll use the Monette clone for all-around playing. I play jazz (not lead), and classical. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine for lead as long as the player doesn't want a high-resistance MP.
    The B4S has a cup about the size of a Bach 3C / 5C, but with a MUCH more comfortable rim. The Schilke 15C4 and 17 are pretty close. I wouldn't consider any of these to be "lead pieces", but I hate the thin sound of the usual shallow, tight "lead" MP.
    Using shallow, tight MPs to try to get Maynard's range has changed the sound of the typical trumpet player, and not for the better.
    The most important factor for a trumpet player is tone. A high range with a thin, whiney tone is, IMNSHO, worthless.

John
    http://home.cfl.rr.com/themuterack/
    Cape Canaveral

5. MikeZ

MikeZ New Friend

Nov 14, 2003
    Chicago Area
    I ordered a Kanstul MFII with Prana Backbore from a local shop here in Chicago about three weeks ago. I picked it up a few days ago and have logged a few hours on it so far.

I find it much easier to play than a Schilke 14a4a. My range hasn't changed, but I can play up to the limit of my range much easier with this piece. It's a very comfortable piece to play.

My only concern is that the alpha angle seems to be a bit high for my large chops. I have to be careful not to bottom out in the shallow cup. My adjustment has been to stretch my chops out a little to make them thinner instead of just shoving my face in there.

;-)

All in all, an excellent $65 investment. I can't wait until the next time I meet up with Horn of Praise. I'm gonna blow the hairpiece right off his head with my high G.

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    what's the MFII like?
    is it a V cup?

7. MikeZ

MikeZ New Friend

Nov 14, 2003
    Chicago Area
    James,

It's not a V Cup. It's a typical bowl shape similiar to a Schilke 14a. Quite shallow - but of course the Prana backbore is anything but narrow.

I don't think my digital camera is good enough to capture up close pictures, but I'll give it a try and post some if they turn out.

8. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

9. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Jack kanstul wrote "We are constantly adding to our library of copies as players send us their original. So if you have one that's not on the list and want to add it give me a call."

Jack - Instead of waiting for people to send you mpcs to clone, why doesn't your company just cut the big check and purchase one of each of Monette's entire product line ?. You guys could even pick them up off of eBay to save some money. Wouldn't this move your product line along a little faster ??????? You could also order mpcs from other mfgrs. whose pieces retail for more than the general market rate and clone all of them.

Seth Moore

10. Japle

Japle Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Cape Canaveral
    The answer to any question that starts, "Why don't they / you" is always "money". Kanstul is already running 2 weeks behind on their MP orders. Adding more MPs to the catalog wouldn't do much good at this point.