Kanstul Factory and Showroom.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Big Daddy, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    This morning I drove down to Anaheim to get a factory tour of Kanstul and try out some Kanstul horns. It was a great day. I met with Charles who took me through the factory to show me the process of making a horn and all the good work they do. I then walked over with him to the showroom to try out some horns. Ireally enjoyed playing them. I liked them all but narrowed it down to the 990 built from The Conn Constellation 38B Specs, 1500A 1001 as my favorites. While I was playing I also tried a few different mouthpieces and settled on a used Gold G1. A copy of Miles Davis' mouthpiece from what I was told. I love it.

Charles is a really cool and very knowledgable about the products.

I also decided to take my 1956 Olds Recording in very good condition with me. Charles told me that they could make it look brand new for about $225.00. There was lacquer wear around the valve casing and on the bell near the valve casing along with a few other small spots. I said why not. Since it was made at Olds under Zig's management, why not have it relacquered under it.

I met Zig when I went back into the factory and he looked over the Olds and was impressed with the condition it was in. He said it didn't look as if any work has been done to it and the lead pipe was still in good shape so I didn't need to replace it.

All in all a great experience. If you get a chance to visit it is well worth the time.

I am looking forward to getting my Olds Recording back in 2 to 3 weeks.

:thumbsup:

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    I can attest to what Big Daddy says!

My wife and I drove down that way last fall to see a friend play trumpet in the touring company of Fiddler on the Roof, and while we were there, we stopped in at Kanstul, as my wife's flugelhorn is a Kanstul copper bell model.

We'd made an appointment as I wanted to have my home-made mouthpiece digitized for duplication. Everybody we spoke to there was quite friendly, and despite being busy, they took the time to talk to us and let us try horns. I was VERY impressed with their Bb rotary trumpet, as well as one of their piccolo trumpets (one that looks like a P5-4).

It was a very enjoyable experience for us!!! Now that we live in the SF bay area, we're only a day trip away from Anaheim, so we'll probably be back to try horns again in the not too distant future!

BTW: the copy made of my mouthpiece is indistinguishable from the original to me, so I'm a great deal happier having replacements available for this unique mouthpiece!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  3. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    They had Herb Alpert's double trumpet there for repairs. The one on the website. I guess the Bell got pretty badly bent and dented. It looked like a brand new horn. I believe the guys who was working on it was George. I agree that the people who were employees were all nice.