Kanstul Mariachi "Premier" MAR991

Discussion in 'Horns' started by jazzhorn, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jazzhorn

jazzhorn New Friend

Dec 22, 2003
    Southern Maryland
    Jack,

I can not sing enough praises about this horn. I just have one issue with it. The bell is much larger than most horns and I have trouble with my cup mute bottoming out. Are there any brands of mutes that you would suggest trying?

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Jazzhorn,

I have a real itch to buy a medium bore trumpet and the Mariachi is just the thing for it. I wonder if my wife will understand?

About the mute. Doesn't Flip Oakes do a range of mutes for bigger bells? They might fit.

Regards

Trevor

3. NMex

NMex Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mutes on Mariachi

Jazzhorn,
    I have the Mariachi horn and really like it too. I have an EMO (sp?) harmon that works well. When I ordered this mute from PiCK, I asked Priscilla to try the ones she had in the shop. She did and some of them bottomed out. The EMO has a neoprene gasket as opposed to cork but it works well.
    Regards,
    NMex

4. jazzhorn

jazzhorn New Friend

Dec 22, 2003
    Southern Maryland
    Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    When I purchased the Schilke I found that it has a slightly larger "bell throat" than either of the two previous trumpets so my mutes sat really deep in the bell and created a rather offensive intonation change.

I took myself off to the local auto parts store and purchased a sheet of gasket cork (it's about 3/32" thick), and a roll of double-sided "carpet tape". I used that to "build up" the diameter of the mute corks and "voila"...the problem was cured. It even worked on my Harmon mute and when I recently purchased a Jo-Ral bubble mute, it got "the treatment" as well.

There's nothing to say you can't add two or three thicknesses of cork if you really need it. No need to go buying new mutes (unless you really LIKE buying mutes!) :D

6. David

David New Friend

Nov 12, 2003
    A bit off topic, but wouldn't you call this a small bore horn?

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The real issue is the size of the bell, not the bore of the tubing. The bell throat opens up sooner, much like a Bach 72 vs a 37. Hence the need for a larger "fitting" mute.

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Sori my mistake. Small bore it is then...whatever that means!!

Regards

Trevor

9. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    I've been playing a Kanstul "Mariachi" for about 3 years now and love it! I've probably bought (and sold) 7-8 other horns over that period but it's the one horn that I just won't part with. For one reason it HAS to be the most versitle horn I have ever palyed (and I've probably owned over 200 horns!). iI you back off it has a gorgeous jazz sound especially the middle register...if you pump it it'll peel paint when playing lead. Even though it's considered a small bore in no way shape or form does it back up on me. There was NEVER any adjustment period from the day I received it and one of the best features is that it's NOT mouthpiece sensitive. Every and any piece, from tight to open seems to work on it. I've used everthing from a Warburton #1 to a #8 BB. As for Kanstul naming it "Mariachi...not only do the Mexican Mariachi players like the Conn Connstellations (old 38 B's)...but even back in the early '70's you couldn't do a latin big band gig in NYC without all the latin cats using the Connstellations, too. Yes...then there was always Maynard and Chet, etc.! I'm certain that in the future I will end up buying another "Mariachi", probably goldplated, so that way my back-up horn and my main horn with have exactly the same playing characteristicss. I'm sure that this horn isn't going to fit everyone (I've never seen a horn that did!)...but if you like some resistance to push against without it being stuffy...and you want a horn that is "at home" in just about ANY playing situation...then you owe it to yourself to give the Kanstul "Mariachi" a test run.

Butch

10. jazzhorn

jazzhorn New Friend

Dec 22, 2003
    Southern Maryland
    Besides the fact that it is such an outstanding horn...it is absolutly beautiful. Every time that I take it out of the case around someone new they do a double-take and want to know what kind of horn it is.