Kanstul Noisy Valves

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Hornie, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Hornie

Hornie New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    For Jack and Everyone,

I love my new 1500A! Oh, how much I love it...

But: the valves are very noisy. Almost like a rattling of metal and spring, especially on the third valve: on that one, it really makes a metal "ting" sound at the top. I know that metal valve guides are more noisy. And I've read that Kanstul valves are noisy at first, but that they quiet down after time. I just wanted to get more feedback from you guys on it.

Jack, what have you experienced?

Others?

I'm using Pro Hybrid, at Jack's suggestion, and the valves are very very fast ... just concerned about the noise.

Thanks!

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    The valves are comparatively noisy at first caused by the metal valve guides but they quickly settle in. If you find it disconcerting perhaps you could get a set of nylon guides which will quieten them down..personally I stick with the metals ones and once the horn loses its 'newness' and the oil gets in all the right places they settle in nicely.

The metallic sound on the top of the stroke sounds like either the top or bottom cap isn't screwed all the way down. Take them off and finger tighten them making sure that its not cross threaded and do not force or over tighten them. It shouldn't take any force.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor