Kanstul Piccolo Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Kevin Hilman, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm currently looking for a new piccolo and came across the Kanstul CCT 920 model in Bb/A. Have any of you had experience with these horns? What are your thoughts?

2. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    Hi Kevin,

I own a Kanstul CCT 920 model in Bb/A pic. I can tell you from experience that it's a very good instrument. It plays well in tune and has a great sound. It's as good in A, as it is in Bb. It's very suitable for a player that likes a freeblowing pic. because of it's bore size.

Jeroen

3. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Thanks Jeroen,
    Did you happen to get a custom bell or finish on your horn? I'm most curious about how the copper bell will change the sound.

Kevin

4. Jeroen Jongeling

Jeroen Jongeling Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Amsterdam!!!
    I own a standard laquered one. Plain and simple, yet very effective and satisfying. The copper bell will probably darken up, or mellow, the sound a bit, like it does on other horns.

Jeroen

5. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have a ZeuS Olympus ARLX. I'll tell you this, the copper bell and leadpipe are why I own it! The copper bell makes the sound darker than any Committee I've ever played (or any other horn for that matter) so I imagine it would do the same, only not to the same degree, with a picc.

To me, the copper picc doesn't make much sense. Why would you want a darker, higher pitched sound? I've always heard piccs as piercing, most parts are written to take advantage of that I think. Consider it carefully, play before you buy and be sure to take a disinterested party with you when you audition it!

6. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I happen to have a CCT 920 in perfect shape for sale, mouthpieces(schilke and kanstul) and case and stand included, PM me for details.