Kanstul Repair Service

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just got a phonecall to let me know my horn was finished. They did the repairs in one day, which included valve work, dent removal and spot plating. And all at a very reasonable price! The amazing thing is that they recieved the horn yesterday, and it is already done!

Can't wait to get the horn back in my hands. Great people at Kanstul!!!

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Business must be slow...

But that is a really fast turnaround! I've also heard their work is very good.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, the horn was sent to them based on their reputation. The horn in question was an Ebay purchase, and the trumpet had a number of issues that the seller was "unaware" of. It's the Kanstul-Besson International. A great playing horn with amazing ease in the upper register, at least compared to everything else I have. I can see this trumpet becoming my favorite player.

Just another lesson learned when buying on Ebay...buyer beware! But this story has a happy ending thanks to Kanstul Musical Instruments.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just sent them a 1503 horn to restore as well. I'm excited to check it out when it comes back!

5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    The Kanstul folks are awesome people !
    LOVE my 1600 !!

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I too have had good experiences with Mr. Zig and Charles.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I just took a damaged (bell bent and lead pipe red rot) 1953 Conn New York Symphony. I'm getting it stripped of all laquor and fixing the bell that was damaged in shipping and replacing the leadpipe and tunning slide as well. Can't wait to get it back.

8. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My horn was shipped back to me via UPS ground yesterday...should be here by the middle of next week. I'll give a detailed report on the repairs made and my overall impression. I do know that Zig Kanstul looked at the horn.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Got the horn back today from Kanstul.
    First - The good news...the cosmetic issues on the bell have been fixed quite nicely. The inside of the bell has been re-plated. Most people would never know there had been previous damage and repairs.

Now, for the not so good news...the main issue of the #3 piston valve sticking (feels like sandpaper) was not addressed at all. A simple valve polish/lapping was done, but I'm certain that the horn was not play tested by a trumpet player before being shipped back to me. The valve is actually worse now than before.

The strange thing is that you can work all of the valves up/down as fast as your fingers will move, and you will think that they are perfect. But, when you actually play the horn is when the problems arise with the sticking issue.

I contacted Charles this afternoon to let him know what was going on. He stated he never even saw my horn as he was in and out last week.

They are supposed to get back with me Tuesday to let me know what they are going to do.

I've already spent over $50 in shipping, plus the repair charges.

This is the LAST time I buy a horn on Ebay!!!

10. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Ouch! I know that's disappointing after the time spent waiting. I hope everything turns out great on the re-do!

Pat