Kanstul Repair Service

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I visited the Kanstul factory yesterday and had a nice tour with Charles. He is very knowledgeable about what they do there. Things ARE slow, with the current focus on tubas. They are set up to go full steam once they get an order, and all horns are built on order. They spend the time between orders building parts, for their horns and for other companies. The place is amazing, and I saw one of Trent's horns in the line-up for work. Charles said very nice things about you, Trent.

I saw copper flugel bells all flattened out and getting the brazed seam pressure rolled. Hard to believe they round them out again and they become the beautiful finished bell like on my 1525. Oh, and the trombone bells are still made by Zig himself! I met Jim New at his CNC machine, making mouthpieces. And bought an M (p) replica.

Zig looked my 47 Olds Super Recording over and recommended my just playing it and not having it worked on. He found red rot on the bell and once the bell on such a horn is replaced it isn't an SR any more. The horn does play OK, so I will play it and perhaps look to selling it later. I bought it long distance and paid way too much - but that is how it goes!

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Did you see Zig's work station? He still makes ALL the French horns!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yes! I forgot he does the French Horns. Hope I am as functional if and when I get to be his age. Even though I was disappointed about my Super Recording, it was worth bringing it for him to evaluate. And he was candid about it, so I guess I saved a bunch of $$.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    HA! I took a very early one to him with dents in the (dual) leadpipe.... He looked at me like I was crazy... "do you realize this is two pipes"? he asked, I figured out right then he was not as interested in fixing old stuff as he was making and selling new horns... I don't blame him really... :-)

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    My horn also has the dual pipe and he told me essentially the same thing. It was evident that he really didn't want to work on it, and I respect that. It's still a great player and I can say it is as old as I am, but not in anywhere as good shape as me (thanks be to God).

6. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Charlie (Melk) has perfected working on those pesky leadpipes, also, just do a valve job, that is the one thing that makes a quality vintage horn sing like a youngster! If you are around the area (so. CA.) for a few more days, pop in in and kick some vintage Olds tires.... You can see all my "empty" cases!

7. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I've only had limited experience with Kanstul service, and it was outstanding. I had purchased one of their flugels and it just didn't feel right. We discussed the problem and they suggested a mouthpiece issue. Problem solved. The receiver on the lead pipe actually fell off, and they immediately shipped me a new lead pipe, no hassles or questions. Great people.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I remember calling Kanstul one day about getting a 3rd valve slide replated (silver) .. a very sweet lady told me just bring it down and we can have it done in about an hour ....that's pretty impressive.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My Kanstul 1600 is still the best playing horn I've ever had in my hands, and I've played a LOT of horns.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Reading the response with Kanstul input is so inspiring. I think it says a lot about a organization that follows their customers, and right here, all of us crazys on TM!!

By the way, how is my brand spanking new Kanstul 1526 coming along? I purchased it through Bruce Haag in Cincinnati, and he said it would be 3 weeks... its now 4 weeks! I am going through flugelhorn withdrawal... not a pretty sight!