Kanstul Repair Service

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just got a 1503 I had bought for my shop inventory back from refinishing and I have to say it looks absolutely incredible. The staff at Kanstul nailed it out of the park. I am blown away. I hope to find before pics but this horn looks great and plays 150x better after.

Couldn't be happier with the service I received. They just got a bunch of work coming from my shop in the future!

Enjoy the low-fi pic!

[​IMG]

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    That looks great Trent! I just passed on that eBay 1504 with teh bell damage. I think the bead is broken. Your horn is making me wish maybe I had kept it and had Kanstul do the repair/refinish.

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Zig restored my 1947 Olds Super Cornet that I bought for $167. It played well before he fixed it and plays unbelievably well now. Awesome people, wonderful price, tremendous workmanship. It is, for all intents and purposed a new horn. Cannot come up with enough superlatives.

Wish I knew how to upload a picture because it is too nice not to share!!

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The price for a full restore was also really fair! I am completely impressed and can't wait to send my next instrument to them! ;)

5. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Just got my '47 Vega Power Model back from Kanstul repair. It's so fricken' beautiful I just have to revive this thread. The horn looks so incredible, I'm almost afraid to touch it. I definitely didn't want to put it back in it's case, the case (original) just doesn't do it justice; and the case really isn't in bad condition, either!! The artists/craftsmen at Kanstul are superb. When I get a chance, I feel compelled to take/show some pictures of this work of art.

-Blair

6. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

Well, here it is... OK, OK before someone in the know says something; YES, something is missing. The horn had been gone so long I didn't realize it at first. All I saw was a very pretty horn. At 2 a.m last night, while writing a crazy long entry under the Vega Boston thread and explaining the "S" brace similarities between Roth and Vega, my heart jumped.

I raced downstairs to look at my newly refurbished horn, and there it was... or should I say, there it wasn't!!!! The "S" brace was no longer there!!! I guess it was one of those situations were there were left over pieces at the completion of a project. We've all had those, haven't we? The horn is a keeper, always has been, so I have to laugh. I'm going to find out on Monday if they still have the piece laying around the shop.

Here's my refurbished '46 Power Model (bottom) and early 50's Power Special (top):

[​IMG]

-Blair

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    The braces are on my desk now. We'll install them to the original spec and relacquer the horn. VERY sorry about that!

8. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks Charles... like I said, we've all been there; anyone who claims they have never finished a project and found a part left over, is not being honest with themselves. I really do find it quite comical and I'm smiling as I write this.

-Blair

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    OOPS....:lol:

I know it's not "factory" without the brace, but I think the horn looks better without it.

10. Vega Power

Vega Power Piano User

Dec 9, 2011
    Florida
    My feelings too, Dale. When I started putting the horn through it's paces, I noticed the slotting between the notes was much tighter. The notes were much closer and it was noticeably brighter. I was always a sceptic about bracing making much of a difference in the playability of a horn. I'm still a bit on the fence about it; however, one of this horn's endearing capabilities was the ability to bend notes to the extreme. That characteristic is absent now. I honestly hate to have them redo it... like I said, this horn is a keeper for me, so the need to return it to original appearance is not the driving force. It does, however, remind me of the olds story from a half century ago about a guy who had his Vega Power Model cleaned and was furious because it didn't play as it did prior to the cleaning.

Regardless, I will not hesitate to send another horn (or several more horns) to Kanstul for refurbishing. After it was sent in; Zig, himself, called me with issues about the restoration of the horn. He, and his entire company, is top notch. The artists/craftsmen at Kanstul are so incredibly skilled at turning a pile of junk into what is, essentially, a new horn. This horn, in particular, had so many dents down the top and left side of the bell that I'm stunned it's the same piece of brass.
    I have only good things to say about Zig, Charles and the gang. This brace is a real odd ball in the trumpet world. It looks as if it belongs between the leadpipe and the bell. I can see how this happened.

-Blair