Kanstul Repairs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just sent my newly purchased (Ebay) F. Besson International by Kanstul to the Kanstul repair shop for some valve/piston work. Has anyone here used their services? A long visit with one of the sales people at Kanstul convinced me that this was the best course of action.

2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Trumpet Dreamer, you cannot go wrong with Kanstul's service. They restored a beat up Military King Libery I had to brand new condition for a killer price. Zig himself looked the trumpet over.

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Word on the street is Kanstul does restoration right...Price performance comes at a price but they will deliver the goods.

4. mrdave

mrdave New Friend

May 13, 2010
    kanstul did an excellent job restoring my besson meha copy made by them. the horn came back like new. the only criticism i have is that they took twice as long as they originally estimated, and i had to drive communication about status. i'd use them again, but only if i had a back-up for whatever horn i was sending to them.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Speaking of, I'm taking a 1953 Conn 22B that was damamged on the bell during shipping. I'm taking it to Zig this afternoon during my lunch break and have him look it over. I think all it needs are new corks and bell work. Also want to strip the laquor off since the crease on the bell cause some of the laquor to flake off. I'll take some before pictures and post here soon.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I am flying to LA next week and will take my '47 Super Recording to them. Zig has to see it before they will accept a refurb. The horn is intact, but has a poor refinish job and needs some details. I will post on that meeting and the eventual outcome.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just dropped off my Kanstul-Besson at Fedex. The folks at Kanstul will have it by next Tuesday. Might have them do a total refurb on the horn if the price is right.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've had them do my Recording, Holton ST 301 MF, about four Supers including the valves on my main axe, and various and sundry items, all fairly priced, but yes, you need to drive the communication, double check what he said he'll do item by item and check back on scheduling. My Recording and Holton are so pretty now I can't stop looking at them (or playing them!).

I'm there next week for repair to a VERY old Olds horn I just picked up. And I know he loves King Lib's. Zigs got a '20's one on the shelf about a workbench/conference room he uses, and when I brought mine to show him, he remarked how these were about the best designed horns in history. I agree! And the hang in the showroom is candy store time.
    ed

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi Ed,

I agree with you on the candy store in the showroom. Plus, Charles will appreciate taking a little time off his busy schedule to go play along.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Veery715, I am soooo waiting for your update. Love to hear more regarding your Super Recording!