Kanstul Reviews if Interested....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Mar 10, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I have a few Kanstul horns on their way for me to try, I will be testing the 1500, the chi1001, wb1600 and the mar991. If anyone would like to know my thoughts on these horns let me know. I will tell you what I think. Picking a horn is so hard!!! Why can't we all be loaded and stock up on these things.....I may have to drink well vodka for while but hopefully I will manage.......

2. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Drac,

I have played all of those horns pretty extensively. I love the 1001 because it does remind me of an old Benge - definitely a fun horn to play.
    I really like the WB because I felt comfortable playing soft or loud, low or high. It is an outstanding horn. I have always loved the 1500. The sound you get from the copper bell is beautiful. It projects well and the notes seem to be centered. The horn blends well in a section. I have always thought that this weas Kanstuls best horn.

The Kanstul Mariachi model, I think that was your other one - I was here dreaming of the 1500, is a good horn. It is basically a remake of the old Conn Constellation.

Just my two cents worth.

Mike

3. WFUnix

WFUnix New Friend

Dec 8, 2003
    Drac,

Please let us know your impressions. What are you looking for in a horn? Those horns choices seem to really spread a wide spectrum of Kanstul horns! I'd be mostly interested in hearing about the 1500.

Thanks,

Joe

4. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Hey Joe,

Thanks for the interest!! For the past few days or so I have been munching on the Chicago 1001 and the 1500. I must say these are very different horns. I am mostly a classical player so my interests are more geared towards sound and projection.

The 1500 really surprised me with it's deep and rich tone quality. When you play this thing quietly it's almost cornet or flugal like. Surprisingly though, when you start to step on the gas it does get a brighter sound which is very nice since you need to cut through at times. I will say that the upper register is very rounded but still dark. If you are looking for a sweet sounding horn you don't need to look farther than this. It is also a heavy horn. With the copper bell it weighs in about the same as a Bach, 2.5 lbs. This may be a concern for some players.

As for the Chicago, I was also impressed. This biggest thing for me was the response of the instrument. Very easy to project and tounging is a breeze. The sound is definitely brighter and has much less core than the 1500 but the sound is not edgy or piercing which is a good thing. The upper register is also much more effortless than my bach or the 1500. The big draw back for me was how open and free blowing is it. I am not used to large bore horns so some bad habits starting creeping in when I wasn't getting the resistance I am used to. This is more of a "me" thing and not a horn thing. I may snag the CHI1000 and give that a wirl.

So there you have it so far, the other horns -MAR991 and 1600 are not here yet so no review for those. Also for those interested you can customize your finish for very little. I am a big fan of the brushed look, and for the 1500 it is only an extra $30!! Brushed copper....should be sweet if I decide to go that direction. Ok I have said too much, I am out of here. Hope this helps some prospective buyers, feel free to ask any questions if you have them..........

Jon

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I ended up getting the 1500. I have thought for a long time that the 1500 was the best horn Kanstul made. I was always hesitant because I didn't know how it would blend with the section. However, when one of the other players in our Community band got one my fears were put to rest.

When I came to this conclusion I had decided I was going to buy the 1600 or Wayne Bergeron Model and went down to Capitol Music in Montgomery AL - where they had three in stock. The Bergeron model is a great playing horn that plays easily and has a lot of room in the upper register. As began playing both of them I felt better with the 1500. it had a warmer & broader sound which would, and does, work well for my playing. The Bergeron Model seems to have a slightly tighter flare which would make it great for lead playing. I am not a lead player & the 1500 fits my playing style better. Because of the copper bell it projects surprisingly well. It is extremely responsive and plays very easily as well. Playing softly is not a problem. A truely great horn.

The Chicago model is brighter and very responsive - very much like the Benges it was patterned after. It is a great all-around horn. I used to have one and it was a great playing horn.

I have a friend that had taken a Mariachi in on trade toward a new horn and I was there when a couple guys with a very strong upper register tried it. It played great in the lower register but as you got above high C it seemed to close down and get squirrely(if that is a word). I used to have a Conn Constellation and it is a very close copy.

Mike