Kanstul Round Tuning Slide for Zeus G.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gzent, May 19, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, I've had my round, braceless tuning slide for about a month and thought I'd share my thoughts.

First, thanks to Jack Kanstul for helping me out and getting me the slide.

The resaon I got it was to free up the upper register and I could tell right away the difference from the normal 'D' slide that comes with a Zeus. For me the difference in blow becomes noticeable around the top of the staff.

The sound is very nice - brighter at the top and mellower at the bottom.

The response seems a bit quicker.

The intonation is the same.

The slotting is noticeably loser, which is fine, because it was pretty tight with the 'D' slide.

Overall, I'm very pleased and am using the new slide 100% of the time.

Greg

PS - I think its .470, but you'd have to ask Jack.

2. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I have both the .464 and .470 rounded slides for my zeus, and they both transform the horn, for me, into a responsive and nimble instrument. Before I got my slides, I was ready to sell the horn, but these slides completely changed the character of the horn.

If you dig back thru the early posts the Patrick Gleason (trickg) made in reviewing the touring Wild Thing, I think you will find some comments he made about my zeus with the rounded slides.

Enjoy your "new" horn!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It is surprising how much of a difference changing the tuning slide can make. I like the Zeus, but I'd like to compare it with the top of the line Kanstul horns and see if the best Kanstul horns are really worth the extra cost of $500 to $1000.

Greg