Kanstul WB 1600

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Mikey, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Has anybody played this new model yet? I understand it was made for Wayne Bergeron, and basically copied a Bach 72LT.

How is the sound core and projection on this horn?

Most of my playing is swing and Latin bands these days, with contemporary church work on weekends. I was thinking about getting a Bach 72LT, but could this WB be a better horn?

Mikey

2. slimshady

slimshady Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2003
    I have played both the Bach 72 and the Kanstul WB. Haven't played the 72 lightweight....but I also don't think the WB is a lightweight.

The WB core sound is centered and somewhat dark but it can brighten up too. The sound is very pointed and will really slice thru. Slotting is very solid.

I think you will find that the Kanstul WB is a much better horn than the average Bach 72, especially for the type of music you will be playing.

3. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Kanstul 1600

Mikey:

There is a lot of info about this horn, and after careful research and trying many trumpets, I ordered one in July 03. Got the horn in Sept. 03 and have been playing it 95% of the time since.

I agree that the horn can sound dark, and can really sizzle at the same time without getting harsh.

I was rehearsing on it last night, and can't wait to play it on my gigs this weekend.

The horn is different. It does have a similar bell to the 72* Bach, but nothing else on it is "Lightweight". The Leadpipe is an open 25 that has some special tweaks that no one will tell you what they are. I personally think that they did something at the Mouthpipe receiver to smooth out the transition going into the Leadpipe to give it less turbulence and a more open feel early on in the horn. The bell blows like a big flare bell so you can get that "darker" jazz sound. Because it has thinner guage brass, you can also get it to sizzle/cut with a bit more air and the right MP match. Found a great match with a Curry MP.

I really like mine and just had Kanstul do some tweaks. This horn is a sleeper among great trumpets and one of the best values on the market for new horns. PM me if you want more info or to talk shop. Rumors that I have heard is WB is no longer playing the Kanstul so they might rename it 1600LIP :D

Mitch "The LIP"

4. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

5. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I agree with all above posts. I just played one 2 days ago and wow, an excellent horn. It looks to be heavily Bach influenced, which made it pretty easy for me to play, since I play Bach 98% of the time. I loved the sound that I got with my big Laskey 80C. My friend uses a Marcinkiewicz with the WB for latin and jazz gigs. Plus, the finish is excellent! Looks like brushed brass with clear lacquer.

6. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Re: Kanstul 1600

Hiya Mitch! Glad you are enjoying the horn. I think Kanstul is going to name a horn after me...by the way, what's the correct spelling for "Frack"? Only kidding.

Just to clear things up a bit for everyone: Jack Kanstul spoke with Wayne just a few days ago. Wayne is still playing his Kanstul, and intends to continue playing it for some time. He's even considering coming in to have the scratch brush finish done (Wayne's is raw brass).

Remember fellows, not only is Wayne a top-notch guy, he is an old Kanstul family friend. If he was going to make a change, he'd just say so.

Regards,

7. 2LIP

2LIP New Friend

Nov 28, 2003
    Charles

#1 I think you just slammed me when I was kidding. The obvious ridiculousness of my comment about Zig naming a horn after me was supposed to be funny. Based on your comment you didn't find humor in it.

#2 I didn't speak with Wayne personally. He doesn't return e mails to us "local pros" in the midwest.

#3 I said that it was a rumor, and I heard it from more than 1 reliable source that WB was entertaining a switch. Both times I got the same story from 2 different people in two different parts of the country, so I guess they had spoke with Wayne personally or were in the know. As I stated, it was a rumor. Guess that I struck a sour chord with you? :!:

The LIP

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    That's the only thing that bothers me when pros endorse 1 particular horn. They show up at a gig with something else, and all hell breaks loose.....

Remember Doc's old Getzen from the 60's? If you ever got close enough to the horn to see, the "Bach" logo had been buffed off the bell........

Even while he was endorsing Getzen the first time, I saw him in concert using an old Bach........

I thank you all for the information regarding my original post about the WB 1600 horn. I have it on my "need to buy" list.

(Along with the flowers and candy my wife will get for putting up with me getting another horn).

;-)

Mikey

9. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

Mitch and Mickey

One thing I know about Wayne is if he was going to switch he would let the Kanstul family know. We are old time friends from Southern California Drum Corps days. When I was at the show he did with the UNLV jazzband in Vegas he was playing his usual WB and Kanstul flugel which he recently had goldplated. So now he is thinking about getting his trumpet sratch brushed and goldplated. He gave a nice clinic and spoke at length about his horn and the modifications he had my father do for him. He has been playing this horn for over 15 years. When we sponsored him at a clinic up in Tacoma last year with the Rich Wetzel Big Band he mentioned to me that he gets pushed on all the time by the big companies. Then he said," But I've never found a horn that plays better than your Dad's." To which I replied," Wayne you never will." By the way the UNLV band is incredible! What an array of talented musicians lead by the very capable Dave Loeb. Two players in the section, one of course lead, were playing Wayne's horn and couldn't offer enough praise about it. So if in the future you want to give it a try give me a call. I always have them in stock and of course offer my Lifetime Warranty and Kanstul service to back it.

To The Music, especially Wayne Bergeron's

Jack Kanstul

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    That guy is one heck of a player!