Kanstul

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Folks, I'd like to tip my hat towards the great people at Kanstul.com. The morning of his school Christmas concert my son decided that he should clean his trumpet. Great!.... uhh, I think.

At noon I got a phone call... he'd broken one "ear" off of the plastic valve guide. *sigh*... the kid had to "suffer" with my Schilke for the concert.

Anyway... I emailed the great people at Kanstul and, on their last day before Christmas break, Charles Hargett mailed me two sets of guides... one brass and one plastic set. They sent them via mail to me in Canada, no charge, no discussion of paying shipping and handling fees... NOTHING!

Several years previous to this I had expressed a desire to try different spring rates in the same horn. At that time they mailed me three different sets of different "weights" of spring... NO ChARGE.

If you are ever in the market for a new horn (and who isn't?), you MUST consider these people who put "SERVE" in the phrase "Customer Service".

Thank you, Charles and all the crew down there in Anaheim.

2. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    My experience with Clayton (Kanstul dealer) left me with the impression that the Kanstul company will bend over backwards for you. They are very good to work with, and their product is superior.

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Absolutely. Kanstul is a family owned and run company. Charles is a great guy. It you would rather have plastic valve guides than the metal that usually come with the horns (the metal last longer, but are noisier than plastic), simply give them a call. Done.

There are many great Kanstul dealers. I have the highest regard for the ones I have met, especially PC King and Steve Ferguson. I am glad that is the company I represent. You never have to worry about the little things. They are always there and things get done.

And Ed I am disappointed. You made the kid play the Schilke instead of the Eclipse? :twisted:

Jim

4. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    A few years back, I bought a Kanstul made French Besson Classic on clearance from a music company in Dallas, Texas. The horn had been used as a demo by the company, and they were selling all their French Bessons, after Boosey Hawkes decided to discontinue the horn. Thw horn was supposed to arrive with two tuning slides, a round one and a square one. But the music company had somehow lost the square slide. They told me it wasn't their problem, since they no longer carried the horn.

I contacted the Kanstul folks, who had absolutely nothing to gain by helping me out, and they located and sent to me at their expense a replacement for the missing slide.

And I might add, the Kanstul made Besson was one of the very best horns I ever played. If I had not won an Eclipse in last year's contest, I would have been content to play that Besson for the rest of my life. If I were not playing an Eclipse, and if I were in the market for another horn, I would not make a purchase without giving Priscilla King at PICK Music a call, and checking out the Kanstul Signature line of horns.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Lol! Yeah, his teacher told my wife that he had told HER that "Dad has three more trumpets at home so I can get one of them!". No way, Jose! The Eclipse and the Getzen were staying nice and safe "at home" for this gig!

The horn with the broken guides was a Besson International, made by Kanstul originally with plastic guides. Son immediately installed metal ones, pronounced that "he couldn't tell the difference but preferred them" and that's where it sits today.

6. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    S.T., if the French Besson you're talking about is the Najoom model, then I agree. It is a fantastic horn.

7. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    Chief,

Yep. It was the Najoom model-a greatly under appreciated horn.

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Maybe Charles can confirm this, but I believe that Besson saw the error in their ways and is once again having Kanstul make their F. Besson instruments!

It appears that the company in India that took over production of the Besson line after they pulled it from Kanstul ain't quite yet able to make a "Besson" like Kanstul can make a "Besson!"

I believe Besson's student horns are, alas, still being made in India.

Tom Turner

9. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I agree,

Those Kanstul made Bessons are excellent..all the way down to the 609 (?) International intermediate model. I've got a Marvin Stamm model that out Bachs most Bachs.

I've had 3 new Kanstul horns (2 trumpets and a flugel) and all have been keepers. In fact when I start to look for a new cornet the ZKC 1530 will be on the list for sure (as will the Taylor, Wild Thing, perhaps the new Eclipse and would love to include the Lawler but can't get to play one..shame). When you consider that all those other horns (apart from the Lawler) are appreciably more expensive it really does highlight how good they are.

Regards,

Trevor