keeping the oral cavity small

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Manny,

I was told by a friend of mine the other day that studies with a guy in the Milwaukee Orchestra that when his teacher plays he tries to keep the oral cavity small. So I asked him, "Does he mean that the oral cavity should be the same size (or feel) of that when he is lip trilling or lip slurring?" He said yes.

I'm wondering if this is true because I sometimes have trouble tonguing or slurring after playing really big open-blowing passages. I feel as though my mouth is too open which causes me to move more in order to facitlitate from that open position.

Thanks!

Jeremy

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, once again, we have a very physical query that is best answered in this way:

just say "Tooh". That makes a very physical explanation childlike and easy to implement. Think about it... say "La, ta, dah...". Now say "Tooh" and maintain that throughout all dynamics.

You've accomplished exactly what your friend advocates without thinking of it in physical terms.

BTW, jeremy, i owe you an apology... i lost your number that you left on my machine. Would you be kind enough to give me a call again so we can get together as you had requested? Sorry, my fault!

ML

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Manny,
    I think the actual size of the oral cavity stays the same. Isn't it more of a case of how much tongue is in the way? I use "Tee" when I play lead. Getting the tongue up high in the mouth seems to make the high range easier and gives me a "brighter" sound. "Tooh" is pretty big.

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Rowuk,

Let's put it this way: I've learned after a while a doing this to assume a certain amount of "misnomering" when people ask questions. Naturally, you're correct when you say that the oral cavity doesn't change. That is, of course, assuming there isn't massive dropping of the jaw.

If you say Tooh like the number 2 it isn't really a huge change at all. Also, I'm one of those that THINKS Tooh for all registers even though I know the tongue does arch and all that. I don't invoke the Tee CONSCIOUSLY because it tends to thin my sound if I do. So, I go Tooh all the time and keep that as the ideal.

Later,

ML

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Is that tooh like in "big toe"? or like "winnie the poo?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "If you say Tooh like the number 2..."

ML

7. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    Thanks!

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bill,

I can't quite read the name on the headstone in the avatar... can you write a little something about it?

Thanks,

ML