Keeping the silent brass mute in the bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Does anyone find that the silent brass mute has trouble staying in their bell? I play a xeno and find that the mute just doesn't want to stay in there. This is weird because they are both yamaha. Maybe I am blowing too hard?

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Yes it can get loose at times due to the water coming thru the bell. You just should occasionally check it's tightness. I've had mine drop out a few times also. I still love the silent brass system.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I have the same system. Try blowing into the bell until you can see some light moisture on it. Once you see that, quickly place the mute into the bell. Don't ram it, but don't let the moisture get away either. The moisture should hold the mute in for longer.

Lezwoymn likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On the Xeno and my Monette it does fall out too. The bell shape seems to not be what Yamaha had in mind for this mute. I took an exacto knife and trimmed the rubber seal down a bit. Now it works.

5. Keegan Katastrofee

Keegan Katastrofee New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Illinois
    "Huff" into the bell before inserting it, just like with a cork mute, this keeps it in for me, at least.

P.S. I love silent brass. I got it for christmas and its great. I often play at random times in the middle of the night now and noone knows about it
    =D

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I solved this problem in my old Bossey and Hawkes Regent by taking some thin wetsuit material, stripping the fabric from the rubber (you can peel it off by hand if you are gentle, and gluing the rubber in place of the cork - works a treat. Make sure the wetsuit is empty before attacking with your blade though. Sometimes this material is used on the rubber head bands used for holding your sunglasses on when boating etc. :cool:

7. LLD

LLD New Friend

Oct 18, 2007
    Fits great in my strad. *shrug*

8. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    "Huff" into the bell before inserting it, just like with a cork mute, this keeps it in for me, at least.-keegan katastrofee

That's exactly what I was trying to explain, just couldn't get it in the right words. It works for me like that too.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

tedh1951 - that means you could use a piece of neoprene mouse pad too - those are the heavy ones, they're made out of wetsuit material.

10. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the wetsuits.