Keeping the throat open-AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH(driving me crazy!!)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Sep 15, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stuart solved the discrepancy. I use a standard bicycle pressure meter which shows the absolute pressure - not the pressure relative to the atmosphere that he was talking about. My cartilage is still fine.

I am not the first one to talk about this. Adolf Scherbaum mentioned it on one of his records back in the 70s. The quote was that he could inflate the tires on his Citroen limousine. Some of us thought that based on his sound, that he would be better off working at the gas station. That was a pretty stupid take though. He was one of the pioneers in picc trumpet playing and leveled out the road for many that came after him.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    No one can do that Rowuk.

If you really want to know what kind of PSI the body can develop? Try this, get:

1. One ten ft. length of 2" galvanized or black pipe threaded at each end. Other pipe works but requires more technical know how to put together..

2. A 2" threaded cap

3. One 2 x 1/2" reducer fitting. Again either black or galvanized pipe. Doesn't matter.

4. Three 2" x 1/2 nipple fittings.

5. 1/2" "Tee" fitting.

6. An air gauge good to less than 20lbs. You will need to check the fitting and adapt to 1/2 inch as needed. Some have 3/8 threads, other half inch..

7. One 1/2" gas cock fitting.

8. Plenty of teflon tape and pipe dope to seal all fittings.

OK without going into the specifics put the 2" cap at one end. All the other parts cover with thread tape and dope and twist into other end. The details are a little tricky. Just remember that all the holes get covered and the two ends of the line get covered with the air gauge and the other the gas cock fitting. Try and put the gas gauge in a place where you can see it while you apply the blow.

Blow like hell into the open gas cock but before releasing your highest pressure SHUT THE VALVE!

Now read what it says on the gauge. If you've got any kind of seriously monster loud high notes you should hit somewhere around 5 PSI. This is a PSI which if held too long will cause pain and/or dizziness. Blacking out is always a possibility. Just like in blowing high notes...

Why not use a shorter length pipe? Or a pipe with less inner dimension? Well because if the pipe holds too little volume it is much more difficult to compress. Will "fight back" at you. Also it will be trickier to shut the valve to contain the pressurized air.

For extra credit you can put several 90 degree fittings on various shorter pipe lengths so you can hold the whole contraption in your arms.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Crikey .... :-o

4. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm with you Ted.....Geez! When I was a young "5541" they told me to play with "Ballas"......fill up the horn and play the notes. All this "high pressure" talk is giving me a nose bleed......chuck

5. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

For once I'm in agreement with Henry Ford "80% of the world would rather die than think".

True fact. Henry was a bastard but he knew people...

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I keep getting advised - "Play, don't think".

Some time ago Wilmer Wise suggested I might be over-analysing.

Again I say ..... "Crikey".

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Local,

I will continue on occasion to blow up my own bike tires and use that meter. That doesn't require an attitude or any pipe fittings, just some high tension support that I never need with the horn. The 3 Bar mark on the meter tells me what I need to know even if you pretend not to understand.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Robin, how do you get your mouth on the valve - what sort of embouchure do you use on tyres? :evil:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aviation tyres - Robin would have to be exhaling nitrogen for effective inflation. Pure nitrogen molecules are bigger than normal air mix and so it doesn't leak out through the rubber as much - but Robin would only have a maximum of 75% nitrogen if he is breathing normal air, not 100% oxygen.