keeping time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 7, 2011.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    I am progressing really well with my music but my downfall is keeping time, can anybody direct me to where i can download any articles of help, or offer me any tips?

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    How are you using your metronome?

3. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    just setting it to a time slower than indicated on the music

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Subdivide and conquer." A crotchet (quarter-note for us Americans) consists of four semiquavers (16th notes) tied together. If you practice a piece substituting four semiquavers for each crotchet, you can later "hear" those subdivisions in your head while playing. Comes in handy playing for playing everything from funk to Stravinsky.

Have fun!

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What he said. Count all the time, don't just guess. I do and constantly come in wrong or hold a note too long, or short, because I was never taught to count.(self taught, so it is the teachers fault).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The metronome is a very important tool, but also must be carefully used as it CAN teach to follow instead of to lead.

Precise timing is something that needs external monitoring. A teacher, a recording, duets with a MUCH BETTER player. If your feeling for time is not good, DIY is not the correct course of action.

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Play simple stuff exactly as written and exactly in time - no matter how simple it is or slow it is.
    Gradually build on that using more complicated pieces. It'll get better :)

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Playing along with March music is also very helpful for few styles of music have such a pronounced beat.

Another trick which will help you in counting is to tap your feet in time to the music. Tap your left foot on beats one and three and your right foot on two and four. By doing this you will be able to feel where beats one and three are which will indicate which beats you are playing in each measure.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I may agree about the beat of march music, for showmanship on stage it is a bad habit to develop ... especially when you are front row, and I've not quite been able to get rid of mine since I'm a Sousa addict although it now not as noticeable since I'm now just lifting my heel slightly inside a shoe that is just a half size larger.

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I agree with your observation of the visual, but I like to solve one problem at a time and playing on the correct beat is more important than foot tapping for a young player.