keeping time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Amongst the sinister! :-)

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Sounds like you're a drummer. :)

And the opposite of me, I'm right handed and left footed.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I suppose there may me 2 reasons I tap with my left foot, one is that it is the only one I now have that has full and reliable sensation, and second is "HUP" as it is possible only ex military will understand. Still, I believe the choice is more by training / learning than otherwise. Now I ask all musicans if you were on parade, on which foot would you begin to move. Still, that is one reason I abandoned the French horn as my left hand never functioned as fast as my right. However, my left foot can now tap very fast. Then, as always, there seem to be exceptions.

6. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm not bad....I'm only drawn this way...

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

There is no "musical" side of the brain ... you need both to be a successful musician. Writing is the same way ..... good luck doing it well with half a brain. It doesn't work that way .....

Turtle

8. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    http://youtu.be/UrjHKMJTh1w

turtlejimmy likes this.
  9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:ROFL

Turtle

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Cannot discern if you are telling the truth or not, but if such is you in your avatar, you've learned to play a trumpet by fingering it with the right hand (forced to because you couldn't afford a custom left handed trumpet I'd wager). Do you handwrite left handed? Are your golf clubs left handed? Do you throw baseballs and footballs left handed and is your baseball glove right handed? My father was left handed, as were his golf clubs. Still he swung a baseball bat right handed and also threw all balls right handed. Still, he was known to write with both hands ... having been forced to so learn to do so with the right hand resulting in no great grades for penmanship in the public schools of his era, but produced some of the most meticulous handwritten accounting ledgers I've ever seen and married my mother who had the most beautiful handwriting whether it be on paper or the blackboard as IMO would put 99.9999% of present day teachers to shame. Even today I handwrite better than most because my mother taught me early on.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011