keeping time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 7, 2011.

1. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    to this day I always push buttons with my right hand...my 10 key is better...I even hold my beer glass with right hand....yet I do all heavy work with left hand...
    I could tell you other things I use right hand for but that is way too much info. ROFL

btw I sign my checks left handed, so be careful if you want to get paid.;-)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Hey, don't pick on me. I only read it. I didn't write it.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Were your 10 key pad on the left side of your computer keyboard, I'll presume you'd have learned to use it left handed?
    Since I'm not hired by you, or you are not buying something from me, I don't expect to receive any of your checks, but then too I do not accept checks, either personal or company type, and no credit cards, only cash U.S. currency or U.S. Postal Service money orders ... and that is from anyone other than those I allow to make direct deposit to my account(s).

Although I'm dominant right handed, I've more strength but less agility with my left hand. I still shoot firearms near as good with either hand, never prior gave a thought to which was better and still won't as there may yet be times I must rely equally on either.

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Well, just for fun, I think I'll try answering the original question. My greatest strength is my sense of timing and beat. I discovered a valuable trick when I was very young. Here is how it came about: First of all, for as long as I can remember, I've always had music running through my head. For some people this is normal, for others not so much. Also, I've always loved to walk. When you walk a lot, you develop a cadence to your walk that is the most efficient for you. At a certain point, I began stepping with my left foot on beats one and three, right on beats two and four. 4/4 measures consist of lrlr, 3/4 measures consist of lrl,rlr, etc. After a while you notice certain patterns in all music. But the even steps are what give you the subconscious sense of time. You could duplicate the "music in your head" with an mp3 player, but the disadvantage is you can't change the tempo of the song to your walk, you'd have to adjust the tempo of the walk to the song. I hope this makes sense.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KCMT01, your walking to the beat makes a lot of sense, and each to their own, but I'd find waltz time (3/4) a bit slow for walking.

Myself, I've played so many marches, especially those of Sousa, that that tempo is in my head and I've not found a medicine to get rid of it (not that I really want to, so I've not looked for such a med too hard). Those marches and other music as I've personally recorded are without any influence of a metronome, drum beat, or anyone waving a stick at me.

Still, I remember walking along behind another who was listening to music and literally dancing along. That was fun for me to watch. My wife now says I can look at others but not touch. I guess I'm safe watching DWS and the ice skaters on TV.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Sorry, didn't mean for it to sound like that ...... my bad.:-(

Turtle

tedh1951 likes this.
  7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
  8. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    waltzing is great for dancing yet not so good for walking....

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Word on the street has it that the waltz was invented by drunken Austrian musicians marching. :-)
    Guess where the Australian Crawl came from!

10. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Tapping the left foot (controlled by the right side of the brain) engages the affective intelligence.
    Tapping the right foot (controlled by the left side of the brain) engages the cognitive.

Remember that for most people, the two side of the brain are connected and DO communicate through the corpus collosum (which by the way, is larger on women than men - thus they can multi-task). I guess when you're learning something (which is a left brained activity) you could tap your right foot - and when you're performing - if you must tap, do so with the left foot as the right brain is working.

I know of no research about this but, logically it makes some sense.