Keeping usps busy...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 17, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Tomorrow!!!!
    Tomorrow!!!!

The brand-spanking new (might have to update my profile) Andalusia Flugelhorn arrives...

ALSO, two student level Italian compensating double (French) horns...they will take a few days of doctoring each, I am sure.

ALSO, a VERY patinated Martin-Indiana trumpet....this old thing reportedly does not work according to the nice old fella that sold it. He had no idea why not. Guess I'll find out the hard way. I foresee a whole week being needed to hand polish and clean...besides whatever else is needed.

This is NOT "FLIPPIN"...it is flippin' a labor of love. Most of these are quite needful of love. I give it.
    It's not that I am the giggolo of brass instruments.. its more that I am the Valentino....I love' em. ..then I leave' em...boy, do I love' em.

AND I have another double horn at my tech who is done doing a bit of work upon it...
    BUSY time in Furbyville.

My last 40b Vocabell is getting its daily marinade in solvents in preparation for a trip to Ivan Hunter... successful in freeing 2nd and third valve slides, but others so far have resisted my efforts.

Details coming about the Andalusia. It is only the SECOND brand new instrument I've ever owned.
    I hope the reality matches my (vivid) imagination.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well...foiled by the USPS again...

Though I specifically requested both in person AND online that delivery be to my porch....the carrier instead left me the little pink note saying that I'll have to drive to town tomorrow and pick up (now three or four) boxes of instruments sitting there waiting on me.

So...another day.

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I would have had three words when i saw that note.

MOTHER OF PEARL.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Four words.

"Hell hath no fury....."

Isn't that so, Gordon? ;-)

5. dcpritchett

dcpritchett Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2015
    Central FL
    We could take up a collection to send the carrier on a one way vacation. Maybe the sub would do better.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Mother of Pearl...isn't that Mrs. CRABBS?

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Last laugh on USPS...

At about the time all the rural carriers would be back in from their routes, I went back to town, hobbled in to the post office, waving my walking cane I demanded to speak to the postmaster.
    Satisfaction...
    That's what I want...
    Satisfaction.

So, they produced the postmaster.

I told him that it is hard for me to walk, much less drive to town, pick up the boxes, carry to car, drive hom, unload boxes, carry them to house...when I SPECIFICALLY said on the delivery instructions TO DELIVER TO THE FRONT PORCH.

Anyway, I made enough of a fuss they searched around and actually produced ALL MY BOXES. FOUR INSTRUMENTS.
    Now, I had a check of a time moving all that out to the car...but at least I had them.

GOT THE NEW FLUGEL HORN HOME!
    What a GORGEOUS horn. Stunning looking. Haven't played it but for a few minutes yet, but what a fine looking piece and the sound and finish is very nice. Intonation I'll check later...and give a more detailed report...and pictures.

The hoary old Martin-Indiana trumpet is quite a bit different from my other (earlier) one. French bead on bell, Chieftain headdress engraving, different main slide brace....lots of differences. Too nasty to play, MUST have serious bath and loosen all slides. Not too dented...worth restoration it appears.

The two Italian compensating double horns are in FAR better condition than I expected! Out of all the possible slides, only two were stuck...and two small braces need soldering. Aside from that, anything else I do to them is elective...maybe a chemical bath...does a chemical bath strip lacquer? Be great if it did in this situation...definitely a good bath and lubing.

Anyway...busy day. Didn't turn out half bad.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
  9. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    What brand(s) are the Italian horns (Kalison, Anborg, Orsi)? As for the Indiana, what does the valve block look like - some of them during the RMC era were in-house stencils made by Blessing (which was part of RMC - kind of like Conn trumpets that are re-badged Kings, but both are owned by the same company)

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Both of the horns are the Antonelli & Borghi (ANBORG) creations from Como, Italy...though they were distributed by dozens of manufacturers and small builders to flesh out a product line lacking a horn offering...I've seen dozens of brand names on them, but they all originated in Italy. THESE TWO HAPPEN TO HAVE THE GETZEN BRAND ON THEM. I talked to Don Getzen years ago about where he sourced his horns, and he told me openly.

I've had probably a dozen of them before, solid, smallish, durable...mechanical linkages (the old style from stamped pieces)...great for junior high kids with smallish bodies for a double. These are the ones that look a lot like the vintage German Wendler compensators...except for the first valve loop.

Good way to get used to double horn fingering/transposition on the cheap. I'll have these cleaned up, playing soundly, maybe looking decent (not very dented for used student horns) and sell with case sans mouthpiece for about $450. Ten years ago I used one of these on my horn comeback trail until I bought a nice full double. Did just fine.

I'll take some comparative pics of my first Martin-Indiana and this new one. Right now, he's naked and taking a very much needed bath. He one one foul in-the-saddle-too-many-days green funk smell happening. His case is going to say in the corral for now..if that's ok.

Here's pics of the Martin-Indiana...the dull trumpet. My previous (now complete and ready) is the shiny one. The one I received today is a very early example...serial number 17xx....
    The shiny one I've had is much later...serial number 50xxx...This is the reverse of what I expected. The older example seems to be much lighter...there are s TON of differences...to the extent that I don't think ANYTHING I'd the same between them. Valves on the oldest one show a lot of wear...I hope it still manages to be playable.

The pics of the horn are one of the two identical horns...like I said, both are branded Getzens but are really by Antonelli & Borghi in Italy.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/gordonfurr59/slideshow/