Keeping your horn and lips warm and ready...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I play at mass sometimes, and every concert that I have, there is either another orchestra or some other bands playing before me, so it's not like I can just go to a warm up room and just walk right in on the dot. That would be pretty rude to just walk onto the stage and be a distraction, and plus I don't want to keep the orchestra waiting for me anyway if I mess up the time. So how do I keep my horn and lips ready for the whole time? I blow hot air through my horn constantly, but I don't know how to keep my chops ready. Would I just sit there and kind of massage them, or what? How does everyone else keep ready...

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Practice mutes are great if you have a space where you can warm up softly, and keeping the horn warm is key, especially in a large, often drafty setting, like a church. Whenever I find myself playing the occassional church call, I buzz my lips very softly and try to tighten the the buzz gradually. This should keep you fairly loose. I often do this if I'm playing a processional, and have to wait to play a recessional or Communion hymn. By staying loose, you will be able to come in well rested and prepared.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    When I play a Messiah performance I sit for about an hour before I play my first note. Then about another 1/2 hour before I play again. You have get a good warm up early that day and just do it. once you've warmed up and played earler that day your lips will stay "ready to go" for the rest of the day.

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    My best suggestion is to be sure to have the music in your head! Unless you're playing somewhere really cold, your initial warmup can last you a while. Playing is so mental! If you know what that first note sounds like/feels like, then you'll nail it when the time comes.

Go in thinking you will nail the part, and you will nail the part.

IMHO
    Steve

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just start practicing without warming up. Once you get used to it, there is one less problem to slow you down.

I do not believe in the necessity for a warm up. It is merely a psychological dependency that was trained. The sooner you get rid of it the better off that you are.

I do have a daily routine, it does not have to be the first thing that I play however!

jason_boddie likes this.
  6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I like to put my mouthpiece in my pocket while I wait - then when it's on my face, it's body temperature rather than room temperature. It immediatley makes putting the horn on my face a little more comfortable for me, which helps put me at ease.

7. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    That is not a bad idea. However my pockets usually contain little bits of where I have been. Dirt, sand, lint, etc. A small cloth pouch just for the mouthpiece would keep my debris from sticking all over. I guess I'm sort of like pig pen.:D

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I guess you do have to look out for the bits of lint and stuff, but personally I haven't had a problem with that!ROFL Holding it in your hand to keep it warm also works well, though. I also like giving my mp a rinse in warm water before I start a practice session - helps keep it clean and also brings it up to temperature.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  9. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    Miyot,

I use a snack-size zip lock bag to carry a mouthpiece in my pocket. Works great.

Norm

10. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I usually slip my mouthpiece into my blazer pocket or pants pocket. It does help to have a nice warm mouthpiece. However, I once accidentally had a mouthpiece in each pocket, and wound up playing the wrong one. I finished the show, felt really tired, and looked down at my horn, and realized that my lead mouthpiece somehow got switched to my not-so-lead mouthpiece.:-o