Keeping your horn and lips warm and ready...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have had my #1 first best wife sew a small pocket high inside the main pocket in my band trousers - this doesn't gather any fluff because it is normally closed - and it allows my mouthpiece to warm itself against my leg and secures it in such a way that the MP won't bash against other 'stuff' in my pocket - particularly my car keys. Warm and safe. :cool:

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I'm usually wearing either khaki slacks or black dress/tux pants when I play. These usually have a small change pocket inside the pocket, much like what Ted describes. Very handy.

3. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    "I do not believe in the necessity for a warm up. It is merely a psychological dependency that was trained. The sooner you get rid of it the better off that you are."

ROWUK,there is no doubt in my mind that you are a wonderful player. therefore, I really find this statement suprising. I amnot saying it's bad, just not what I expected.

So, with your theory in mind. I should open the case, put in the MP and start whaling?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I like to use the Yamaha silent brass mute. It really mutes the trumpet so others can not hear it, yet with the head phones it sounds pretty close to unmuted.

5. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I keep my mouthpiece in my hands, I find it stays warmer than in my pocket. As it gets closer to actually playing I put the mouthpiece in a blow gently to warm up the horn.

Funny story about the mouthpiece in the hand.......

It was shorltly after I had bought my new Warburton piece, playing in Church....hardwood floor. I tend to fidget alot, so with the mouthpiece in hand I had was twistin the cup on the bore. Back and forth and back and forth and forth and.........plunk! Turned the cup right off the bore had it slip through my fingers and right on to the hardwood. To make matters worse you could hear it roll along the floor for about 5 seconds before it stopped and all this took place during one of those "queit" moments. Played "air trumpet" the rest of the service, never did find the cup afterwards.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jason,
    I strongly believe in preparation in the practice room. About half of my gigs are in places where there is no time or place for a controlled warm up (especially the church gigs on the picc - the choirs always seem to rehearse up to the last minute and there is seldom a second room available), so I implement this into my practice routine. About half of the days are without any warm up. I still play my daily routine with long tones and slurs sometime during the day however.

Do we warm up for school, driving a car, our job, going to the toilet? NO! we just do it and everything comes out alright because we have "practiced" that way for years.

The human body is amazingly resilient for those that have built confidence. There are unfortunately still a lot of teachers that have psychological crutches on the agenda. The working player has to be ready for EVERYTHING!

Just a note, the people that book players notice immediately if one makes great logistical demands. Those that come, do not annoy with 30 minutes of amusical warmup noises and just do the job in a supportive way, have a competitive edge.

7. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I usaually domy long tones as my warm up in Practice. I am going to swtich it up and do some etudes first, and test your theory. I do not know how well it will work the first time, but I am sure it will get progressivly better

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Jason,

Rowuk has good advice.

Me. I never warm up, just don't need to.

As for what you just wrote, take it even one step more....why etudes? Just pick up your horn and melodically play a SONG.

I woke up this morning, walked by the piano and saw my horn on the stand. I picked up the trumpet and played the bridge from "Misty".

Get used to PLAYING your trumpet.

-cw-

9. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    well the reason etudes good or bad, is ass a comeback player; that is what I spend most of my time on in practice. Trying to built the chops back. I do 2 hour long sessions a day, they go as follows:

15 minutes on long tones
    40 minutes on etudes from my Rubanks methods book
    5 minutes on random church hymns

Should I maybe reverse the entire session?

10. Norm Nyary

Norm Nyary New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Biloxi, MS
    Keep it up guys and gals. This is a great subject - whether to warm up or not. It would certainly save time and solve a lot of problems if warm up wasn't necessary. I will continue to avidly read this thread and experiment on my own. I propose that a practice session earlier in the day would suffice for a later gig or performance. Perhaps a little lip or mouthpiece buzzing on the way. Just before playing, blow air through the instrument to warm it up. That's my theory, at least for now.

Norm