Keeping your horn and lips warm and ready...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HSOtrumpet1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer my lips have to warm up before i can play properly

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Here we go again..................
    A warmup is what is done in preparation for practice or performance.
    I have for many, many years stated that my warmup is very short. A few arpeggios, a few slurs and I am ready to go. I do practice long tones and chromatic scales, but these are played during PRACTICE SESSIONS.
    I have had a career of 9 am recording sessions or 10 am rehearsals. I learned as a young player to be able to perform efficiently. I don't have to relearn how to play each time I take the horn out of the case, nor do I need to convince myself and everyone around me that I can play.
    Think, think, think.
    Wilmer

3. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    what happens if someone tells you to play right on the spot, do you just tell them hold on till i warm up?

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I just returned from the Freddie Hubbard tribute at Abyssinian Baptist Church.
    Brian Lynch, Jeremy Pelt, Eddie Henderson and Terrell Stafford played. It started late and there was lots of talking about Hub. The music started about twenty minutes into the tribute. All the trumpet players were seated in the church. Brian was the first player, trumpet player, to go on. While the rhythm section got seated, he played a chromatic scale, then the group launched into a blazing version of "First Light"............a 3 second warmup. Jeremy, Eddie and Terrell did NOT play a note before they came up to play....... they all played great high energy Freddie Hubbard tunes.
    Are you getting the picture?

They played from the lowest notes to the highest notes.

Oh.....a student group from Philadelphia played. The trumpet player looked like he was twelve years old............He started cold without any hesitation.
    It can be done.
    Wilmer

5. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    Who is hitman?