Kelly mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Dave Payn, May 25, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    Apologies folks, if this has done the rounds before but are these plastic mouthpieces any good, or are they a gimmick, or what? Any advice greatly appreciated. If they are any good, do they have an equivalent to a Warburton 11 backbore with a 3BC cup?? ;-)

http://www.kellymouthpieces.com/

Regards

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Dave,

I am a Kelly mouthpiece dealer.

I talked to Jim Kelly on the phone last night ... they are so busy he is working many hours!

These mouthpieces are copies of Mt Vernon Bach mouthpieces (and in some cases other mouthpieces, for example they sell a cornet 4B mouthpiece which is a copy of a Dennis Wick).

Right now you can get a trumpet mouthpiece in 1 1/2C, 3C, 5C and 7C in all 18 colors. They are working on a 14a4a as the next trumpet piece I believe.

These mouthpieces never get hot or cold. They are great for outdoor playing. They are also great for all around playing. Both french horn players in our community band play them full time. Tuba players LOVE them because they are not cold. Brass tuba mouthpieces can stay cold even when being played. Several trumpet players play them either as a primary piece or as a backup piece. I know quite a few who prefer them for the cornet. They are very comfortable and easy on the chops, so lots of players use them for long gigs.

Mike Vax recorded his recent live album using a Kelly mouthpiece :shock:

They are inexpensive and fun. The clear ones can be used to check embouchures. I played a glow-in-the-dark one at Christmas this year when we played outside in the dark. Not only didn't I have to worry about a cold mouthpiece, it was great fun.

I sell the trumpet mouthpieces for around $20 shipping included. For that price, you can have one or two in fun colors. At Christmas, red and green are fun!

Anyway, I hope that answered your question. They are well made and easy to play. A great value too. And they are not a fad. They are selling them at a brisk pace to all levels of players. They only make them in popular sizes, so the closest one to the Warburton would be the 3C.

M&C

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    That's great. Thank you for your feedback. One other question if I may. On the Kelly website I noticed that there weren't any dealers in London. Being a stickler for trying mouthpieces out until I'm confident of the one that suits my face, are there any plans to include any London stockists (like Phil Parker or The Valve - two London based brass stores that spring to mind) amongst their distributors?

Many thanks for your input once again

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I thought someone in the UK was selling them. But then again, I have sold several (about 10) to the UK myself, so maybe not. I have to order some mouthpieces today. I'll ask about a dealer near London and get back to you.

I ship them to Europe for only $5 shipping (Global Priority Mail). Of course the problem is, if you wanted to return it, it would cost you $5 plus the $5 I spent. That is $10 to try a $20 mouthpiece.

Of course, you could probably get your money back selling them on eBay.uk!

M&C

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    There are four stores selling them in the UK, but none, apparently, in London. I might get to visit the one in Maidenhead, Berkshire at some point in the not too distant future.

Thanks for your help once again

Dave

6. John Myatt in Hitchin sell them.
    I know that's not London but Andrew Hall will offer a quick postal service for you.