Kennedy Center Honors 2009 - Trumpet Player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gbdeamer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Did anyone catch the Kennedy Center Honors show on CBS last night? During the Brubeck tribute there was a trumpet player who lit the place up!

Anyone know who it was??

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I didn't see it but the Washington Post reports that Dave Brubeck's sons took the stage in his honor, with one of them playing the trumpet. Is that who you mean?

Kennedy Center Honors: Springsteen, Brooks, De Niro, Brubeck; Bumbry - washingtonpost.com has this paragraph:
    Brubeck's salute came, appropriately, on his birthday, his 89th. Herbie Hancock offered, "Dave Brubeck is the reason I don't have a day job." When Hancock was a young man, he said, "if you were playing Dave's music on your stereo, you were cool." Brubeck's most famous song, "Take Five," overshadows much of his work, but it's not like he's a one-hit wonder. A jazz quintet, abetted by the U.S. Army's Jazz Ambassadors big band and Hancock, ripped through "Take Five," and then swung into a stomping take on Brubeck's "Blue Rondo a la Turk." Brubeck's four sons chipped in piano, trombone, trumpet and drum solos in their father's honor.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    No, it wasn't one of the sons. It was the trumpet player in the quintet. He was OFF THE HOOK.

All I can find on YouTube, etc is the part with "the sons".

4. Kevykev

Kevykev Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2006
    St. Louis.
    Are you talking about Jon Faddis?

5. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    I emailed a buddy of mine who's in the JA's, he will know..
    I wish I could find that show somewhere online... sounds like it was good!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If it was Faddis then he looks a LOT different than the last time I saw him.

Dude had a fantastic range. A lot smoother that the last time I heard Faddis, but he was playing a gold trumpet, so it could have been him.

Great performance...

7. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    It was definitely Jon Faddis, and man he sounded great on that gold S42 Schilke!!!

8. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    John's right, it was Faddis. He's put on some weight over the years. Who hasn't?? :)

Garry

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I heard him. He can really play!!

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I heard him. He can really play!!