Kent Kennan Sonata

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by eoliver, Feb 5, 2005.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi everybody,

I have an audition coming up, and the required piece is the Kent Kennan Sonata. Unfortunately, the publication didn't specify whether to use the old version or the new version of the Sonata. I was wondering if anyone new what version is prefered by committees, and what the difference is between the two. Is it different other than the barring in the multiple meter sections?

Thanks,

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I don't think they would be terribly picky so long as you play it well(especially since they didn't specify). :D They would probably expect the new version since the older one is obviously out of print but it's not like a successful audition will depend on which edition you use. They'll know if you can play. :-)

I think the ending of the first movement was rewritten but I haven't compared the two parts lately. I have the solo part from the old version but bought a copy of the new version and have only used that one since.

Good luck. :-)

3. trptjoe

trptjoe New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    Chicago
    One thing to keep in mind regarding editions: if you want to practice with SmartMusic (a good idea, as you'll really get the entrances down) then you have to use the new edition or you'll have a couple of spots that just won't match up.

Joe

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    If no edition is specified, you can most likely play either one. I prefer the older version (even though the 1/8 note beaming is a bit more awkward; I have marked the accents and groupings on my part and it's fine), as the new one takes out a significant chunk at the end of the first movement. (There is a transition in the older version which has a slower, more lyric and contemplative restatement of the opening theme). It just sounds completely wrong without that bridge; like the record has a skip in it or something. First time I heard it I thought the player was doing it wrong. I never got used to it.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Kennan

I much prefer the old edition over the newer one.

It seems to feel incomplete without the lyrical section in the 1st movement. I have no problem with the barring of the 8th notes in the earlier edition.

When I have a private student do this piece at festival, I usually loan him/her the older edition as it is unavailable for purchase.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida