key heights on bach 180s

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by matteng, Sep 11, 2011.

1. matteng

matteng New Friend

Sep 9, 2011
    can anyone tell me if it is normal on a new bach 180s that the second valve key sits slightly lower than the first and the third valve keys. mine is about 2mm lower .. thoughts from anyone much appreciated...

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    2mm is not slightly lower, it's a lot lower. Assuming you order it rather than playing it first you will need to contact the seller and tell them you are returning it for a refund. Order another one from them or someone else--problem solved. If the don't want to take the horn back contact your credit card company (hopefully you paid by credit card) and dispute the charge. If you are hesitant to send the horn back ask yourself if you really want a horn that was put together that sloppily.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They should all be exactly the same. That can come from the wrong felts (or too many) or a wrong valve. 2mm is enough to destroy the playing characteristics of the horn. It should be looked at. Perhaps 2 felts instead of one are there....... It may not need to be exchanged.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As one who has a love hate relationship with strads -I think this is what many complain about regarding variability in horns. Are we to think that some inspector shouldn't have spotted this or that it actually passed a play inspection? If Bach would ever get their act together, they could dominate the horn market (even more so than today). This is a great example that something may still not be right at Bach. That said, I have played2 two 2010 strads and they were great.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is not normal - 2mm is almost the total thickness of the standard valve felt used in this model. Are the felts missing from valves 1 and 3? A rough check of valve alignment will quickly determine the cause (wrong/missing felts, piston stem too short/long, etc).

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    This is an example of a first-time poster who does not know that valve heights should be equal.

We have the possibility that Bach made mistake ... or that the OP has not fully described the background of the problem or the circumstances of the purchase.

Which is more likely?

7. matteng

matteng New Friend

Sep 9, 2011

thankyou to everyone who offered feedback on this!... the issue has been fixed with the replacement of a better sized felt for the second valve...no noticeable alignment issues with any of the valves upon inspection by two separate repairers... as to why it was not correct in the first place i cant answer ...i think it does raise some standard points about any instruments that are assembled in larger quantities.. as to me not knowing and not noticing when i played it ...well... i was playing a ton of bachs to find the one i liked and simply did not notice when i tried it ... amateurish...yes ...very happy with the sound of my new horn ...yes.

8. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    All is well that ends well. Congratulations on your new instrument.