Key of trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BlackWhite, Mar 6, 2008.

1. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I wanted to know about the difference in the keys of trumpets(or infact any instrment).

Example,if I were to take a Bb trumpet and play a note on it and produce a Concert Bb note on it,withou any valves pressed down on course.

What happens if I use a C trumpet and play without any valves pressed down also ,does it still produce a Concert Bb? Or does it produce a Concert C? Or any other note?

I am still confused.I only know of songs or parts of songs or movements being in a key,but I do not know the difference between instruments of different keys,other than the length and sound.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    A C trumpet playing its no valve depressed tuning note will play a C. Likewise, an A trumpet will play an A, a D,G,F,Eb, etc. will play the note that is in their name.

OLDLOU>>

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    The name of the horn (trumpet in C, in F, whatever) is the note you'll get, in concert pitch on the lowest open note. It'll still be written on the staff as a C, but the pitch will be the key of the horn.

So, if you have a part for Trumpet in Eb, and the first note is written as a low C, you'll play it 'open' on the Eb trumpet and produce a Concert Eb.

Confused yet!?! ;)

4. smurf351

smurf351 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2007
    This has been a question I have had for a long time. I have always wondered, how it would play, if you would have to change fingerings and such. I am still a little confused though. I would like to get a C trumpet, as most of the music I play is classical.

5. burgerbob

burgerbob New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    Douglas, WY

You only have to change fingerings when you read a part written either for a different keyed instrument or a transposed part, which is usually the same thing. All the trumpet players I know can't play in untransposed treble clef to save their lives (much less bass clef) and so everything has to be rewritten for them to play.

6. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    Learn Transposition. It's a life saver. It saved my life on many situations!

7. BlackWhite

Feb 27, 2008
    Ah,so you still have to transpose.
    Man,I hate that.

Does anybody have a table comparing the different fingerings producing the different noteson the same fingering on different keys of trumpets?Or at least where I can get on.(I mean online)

I know it is constructable,but if someone has already done it before,why waste time?

Haha.

Thanks.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BlackWhite,
    the reason that you do it yourself is because it sticks longer in your brain that way. That is why jazz students learn to transcribe solos from albums. It gives you much needed training AND insite.

You really need to do this yourself!

9. BlackWhite

Feb 27, 2008
    Ok fine,I will if I have to.Haha

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BlackWhite,
    not have to. If trumpet is your life you need to WANT IT ALL - and this is actually very easy!
    An Excel sheet could be whipped up very quickly.