Key of trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BlackWhite, Mar 6, 2008.

1. slixk

slixk New Friend

Jan 13, 2006
    Singapore
    It's a quote. I can't remember who said it. I'm sure someone here would know.

2. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    For the last time,I just wanna make a chart and just paste in somewhere.

Of course I know that I won't have time to look at it while "sitting in an orchestra"!!Im NOT that stupid!!

Is it wrong or does it make you stupid or does i take away your musicianship or musical knowledge just by constructing a comparison chart?

I just want to know what are the common keys of trumpet played by most trumpeters.Thats all.

Thanks

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is NOTHING wrong with a chart. Sometimes visualizing things like transposition makes shortcuts more obvious. In school we needed a tuba, so I learned tuba to help. A Bb instrument in bass clef is the same as Eb transposition - the plus was I could play duets with a good looking alto sax player............

BlackWhite, make your chart, hang it on the wall where you practice and use it for inspiration!

To help: if your starting key is Concert C major
    the Bb trumpet plays a D major scale
    the C trumpet a C major scale
    the D trumpet a Bb major scale
    the Eb an A major scale
    the E an Ab major scale
    an F trumpet a low G major scale
    a G trumpet a low F major scale (really only possible on a 4-valve G trumpet)

Good luck!

The common keys depend on what type of music that you play. Symphony trumpet players are often confronted with parts for trumpet in:
    A, Bb, C, D, Eb, E, F
    Jazz musicians can be required to play a tune in ANY key.
    Hobby trumpet players that do church gigs need to read Bb and C parts

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Don't forget that Brahms wrote parts in H....... that's Bâ™®trumpet:cool: I play lots of F trumpet parts on the D trumpet. Eb trumpet parts played on the C trumpet, a minor third transposition is exactly the same process.
    There is no easy way. Learn to transpose if you are a serious player!
    Wilmer

5. BlackWhite

BlackWhite Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Thats more like an advice I was looking forward to.
    Thanks