Key to Cleaning Up Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 31, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    In our show during one hit, we go G A and then a High Bb, but i never slot perfectly when I hit that note. Same with the High C. After a good warm up, the notes are a bit cleaner, but the high C especially, I sometimes over shoot and move up a slot. Is this something that will clean itself over time? I am starting up private lessons soon (very excited!!!!!!!) but for now what exercises can help to clean up when i hit the notes? My tone is nice and full once I hit the note, but I want to be able to hit the note head on instead of having to search for the note.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Before you do any equipment changes or the such try this:
    When you play the high notes let them be supported by the chord that the rest of the band is playing. In otherwords listen very intensly and become the top note of the chord.
    This makes playing high notes a lot easier because you're fitting in verses fighting for space. It also insures that you are listening the way you should.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I never thought of that, which is weird, im right in front of two tubas and three bari saxes, so I can probably grab the roots of the chords off of them, and the middle off of the nearby tenors, altos, and mellos. Ill have to try that thursday!

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Nail it till it bleeds :twisted:

Joke aside, the best qualified person (hopefully) to answer that question is the person who sees and hears your playing (your new private tutor, hopefully qualified enough to know what to look for)

However, IMHO there can be few different reasons why you cannot "hit" properly these notes.

1. You don't "hear" these notes properly in your head.
    Check if you can sing the note before playing it. If you don't have those notes "locked" in your mind you may try to "hit" them not exactly where they belong.
    2. Overtonguing. Make sure that you don't use too much of tonguing because of fear of missing.
    If that's the cause play some scales with no attack (some call it "breath" attack while other will argue that this is not attack at all). When you can finally do it this way you can add a delicate tooh just to start the not.
    3. Bad breath support, tongue placement or embouchure control.
    Higher you try to go, harder it becomes - the harmonics get closer (cf #1) and the changes to the tongue and embouchure movements become more subtle which makes easier to "hit" a neighbor note.

Make sure that you do not over-strain anything in your body and keep as relaxed as possible. Monette tips on body use David G. Monette Corporation may help you.

5. dpritchett

dpritchett New Friend

Aug 26, 2009
    OH,CANADA...eh!
    Besides the normal practice stuff(the basics have to be there), my teacher used to tell me to think of the note you're hitting before you execute. Pitch it in your head first. It works for me(most of the time).

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    When im standing still it tends to come out of the bell like nothing, but when it comes to flying across the field ( drill has me dodging tubas, baritones and bari saxes, i think the drill is messed up, what about you? lol ) I can't seem to really hit the note and stay on it.

Trumpetnick,

My director when helping me get acustomed to my braces, did this exercise where he made me play the notes, middleC D E F G and back to middle C without tonguing to attack, would this work in the situation?

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't have experience with braces, but I don't see why this would not work. Just transpose it up and see what happens. However do not over do it - if you happen to feel any pain take a break.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I will, always do when i practice. It helped me attack the notes cleaner in the end, but I never thought to use the exercise when this problem arised. But I just pulled my horn out, and I can't seem to attack without tonguing, its a habit. Tips?

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Your lips may not have fully recovered from the "tech" abuse, which render them stiffer. Take it easy. Get a day of rest. Do something else away from the trumpet. Using Chopsaver during this time may help. I cannot say anything more specific without seeing and hearing you.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Perhaps. I just tried that and am not convinced that it will cure your problem, but, it is a very good embouchure developement exercise. Give it a try. I can't see how it can hurt you in any way.

OLDLOU>>