Key to Cleaning Up Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 31, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well I've gotten a week of absolutely no play rest and my sound feels right again, and tone and range sound like themselves aswell. But I've always had trouble getting a no tongue attack. The tone is in my head, but when i try to attack without tonguing no sound comes out.

oldlou,

When it comes to marching, I am actually pretty good at it, no added pressure, when you march properly your upper body doesn't sway, or bob at all, so its actually quite easy to play, but this one movement is a huge stretch, and a very scary one, those tubas are HUGE. Also I still am adjusting to the braces even though its been an entire year already. My range is pretty steady, the tone quality is there in the notes, but Im still adjusting to hitting them square on.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Slot is the wrong word. The reason players miss things in the upper register is because the breath support does not carry the note. They rely on the added pressure that a too strong attack gives to get the note started. That is also the reason why I am critical about the words HIT and ATTACK.

The tongue is primarily there to separate the airflow and thus provide articulation. It is too often abused for helping to play notes that have not yet been earned. The solution is 6 months of longtones produced by breathing deeply then exhaling. We are back to my circle of breath.

If you get your breathing together, you will be in good shape. You obviously have the chops, now comes time for the brains - play smarter and clean up!

trumpetnick likes this.
  3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    There is a pretty reliable test as to which note are really earned. If you can flutter tongue a note, than it is OK. If not, probably you are applying too much pressure.

According to Yoga, the breathing does not start with inhaling, but with exhaling...

Now back to your no-attack long tones.
    1. Play a middle G with a big diminuendo till you can hear only air coming out of the horn (transition from sound to air should be as smooth as possible).
    2. Now do the opposite = air growing into sound. That's more difficult.
    If it doesn't work, make stage #1 and #2 in one (no interruption).

If your lips have not recovered fully or tired, this is likely not to work

4. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I might've missed something, but why are you trying to do air attacks?
    As for not being able to hit the high notes-I think that it might just be a matter of developing muscles.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Try initiating with a "ho".

v

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can't play it without the tongue, then you don't own it. You need to get a different routine that focusses more on relaxed big breath and low impact tone production. You need to look no further. The problem has been identified!!!!

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Hopefully my new teacher can help me with that.....

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can help yourself too! inhale, exhale then play the same way inhale and exhale through your lips into the horn. No additional abs or tension. Use a bigger breath.

Exhale high notes too. I just gave a lesson to a 10 year old with a FAT exhaled high C. She started as a beginner with me a little over a year ago. The first 10-15 minutes of the daily routine are long tones with the mouthpiece, then with the horn then slurs - all with no "tongue" and "attack". The volume is not significant, it should just sound nice and full. Circle of breath.............

Smart is what it is about. Kiss the high notes, don't "hit" or "attack" them. That approach works in many aspects of life!

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Rowuk,
    when i pulled out my horn earlier today, after reading your post I thought about it, and kept it in mind the other advice, and the notes came out clear and full every time I exhaled, no tonguing. I guess it just required more concentration then I figured. My tone was full, clear, and in my opinion what I want it to sound like, so with more practice it should be like this by habit.